Ski Resort lodging

vanz

Okay...so I've never been to the mountains and done skiing or snowboarding. I would love to do it between Dec. 29th and Jan. 1...and preferably have a place to lodge for that time. Do you guys have suggestions on where to stay? I tried looking up some resorts and came up with timberline, but the reservation page comes up with no results on availability. I also called them, but was put on hold forever so I just hung up.

Please help, I know you guys have the hookups!(whistle)

I love timberline, I have no suggestions for lodging, but I did get stuck there in a blizzard and it was a memorable time.

As for snowboarding be prepaired to be pretty sore if you ave never went, and I recommend you getting a lesson unless your really young. there is some pointers that could be very valuble. Did I mention be prepaired to be sore? My wife goes with me sometimes and she usually cant get out of bed the next day.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be very sore the next day. I'll probably sign up for lessons and go on the bunny hills or something. I practiced a little several years ago with my one of my friends board at the hills behind my college's library. All I did was just go straight down though, sometimes face first...but yeah, it was fun.

Yah my wife tried snowboarding twice and will never do it again she got so sore. She sticks to skiis. What a wuss. :p

Timerline is great, Mt hood in general is a great place to ski/snowboard. I don't know about lodging though, i imagine if you can get em on the phone they can tell you the best places close by.

Nyles are you a pro shredder?? Hit some air raileys with a Mctwist off the halfpipe? A little 720 action. Hell ya!

FWD odds are you won't need anything' date=' I only had to cable up my volkswagen once in a blizzard, but I would bring cables with you if needed. Schwabies sells the returnable ones if you dont use them at end of season.[/quote']

Cool. I should do that. Thanks for the info on Les schwab.

Yeah Scwabbs is a good deal. The problem is though even if a FWD car can make it they will probably make you chain up. Then if you dont have chains you either turn around or spend the night on the pass! Its worth going to Scwabbys. Later Ryan

Yeah Scwabbs is a good deal. The problem is though even if a FWD car can make it they will probably make you chain up. Then if you dont have chains you either turn around or spend the night on the pass! Its worth going to Scwabbys. Later Ryan

Take it from me, carry chains at all costs! I've gotten out of at least 3 jams in snow after getting stuck in my Toyota 4x4. If I didn't have them to put on after the fact, I would have been calling a tow truck.

Heard about that....1.5 miles from a lodge...sad. If only he headed up northeast to begin with. Whats amazing is that they found his pants and stuff several miles back. How'd he make it that far along in the freezing weather?

So all tires need chains or just the front?

Just the front and for simplicity I would spend the extra $20 and get cables, not chains. Actually now that I think about it I think thats all they will sell you. Drive them a 1/4 mile pull over and re-tighten them to. Hypothermia does weird things to the body and brain, Im just glad his family made it, they where pretty smart to make it as long as they did.

Yeah later in the season it is required most times to either have studs or chains no matter what. Yeah I think they only sell cables. Also if you've never put them on have the guys a Scwabbs show ya. They are not hard but it will save frustration while standing on the side of the road in the snow. :) Later Ryan

Okay. So I went to les schwab sat morning to get cables. I guess the one by my place didn't carry any cables. They had something that was like cables, but with chains. Didn't fit my car though, so I bought the diamond something chains. Looks easy enough.

After getting the chains and about to leave, I noticed that my left front tire is flat about 15 psi. So I spent about 2 hours there waiting until they can look at my tires. Seems like nothing was wrong and they just replaced the stem just in case. (scratch)

So off to a late start.

Get there around 2, got lost because mapquest screwed me again (flame) I need to find a better map alternative. It led me through a one way dead end with snow all around me.

Swallowed pride and asked for directions. :D Timberline was awesome! Fresh snow! Dog was freezing so we ended the trip short. Didn't get a chance to do any snow shoeing or boarding or even sledding.

So after a couple of hours there, we start to head home, only this time the parking lot had gotten more icy. I've seen tons of cars lose traction and get stuck, some accidents, even saw someone being locked out of their car while they were putting on chains in the middle of the road I think(scratch) Saw them trying to slim jim their way in.

Well...needless to say, I can't return my chains anymore. Getting out of the parking lot was a [language filter]. Thankfully I got the chains and made getting out of there a breeze.

Crazy. I could tell you my blizzard story but it would take to long. LOL. Try going down timberline road in a tow truck with the truck being towed passing you repeatedly. LOL. Crazy night, I didn't get home till about 6 am next morning after all said and done.