Who is balling here?

grassi

The bubble magus is a variable speed unit so you can control each dosing pump and set them for different rates. Thats slick!!!

Danik - does the GHL stand alone 4 head doser you got allow you to set different flow rates for each doser? I think it would be nice to have that 4th dosing pump.

I don't know yet, have not opened the package. But at $555 it better be. Lol

the profilux is very nice and parts are readily available. thats why i traded some nice frags to score this.

looks like the power outage issue is fixed, however the reason they are not readily available in quantity is they cant get the peristatic pump parts together. this made me nervous, if it jammed or broke it would be a while before i could fix it. there are several people using them, all seem pretty happy with it. the bulk reef unit on the rk controller is very nice for the price. little tough to use on a small tank because you can only control it in seconds and not a entirely accurate ml rate to my understanding. i might be wrong but i remember reading some info on this @ r.c.

again balling light is a simpler approach to full balling and different to randys advanced diy 3 part......with balling you have part1, 2, 3, then you mix up other separate elements and add them directly to your mixes. http://www.reefdreams.de/lang_eng/info_3_eng.html

these are like measured vitamins and added only to specific mixes because some will not mix completely into the cal or alk solutions. its fairly simple though

light balling is the exact same program but less of it, hence light balling. fauna simplified it even more by making complete packages but they do not last long!!! believe me.

also note that this has been used in europe for about 14 yrs with excellent success and hit mainstream europe about 6 yrs ago. now its the major calc alk system in use. i read somewhere at a rate of 85% vs other methods. second is the kalc reactor and then the calc reactor. some use both kalc and dosing at the same time as its less expensive to use on larger tanks. they dont have the same high concentration powders available for dosing mixes as we do in the u.s. but they can buy it at the pharmacy in bulk very cheap to my understanding. kinda funny. we can use randys system and get the high concentration mixes in bulk.

in the u.s. its the exact opposite, we use way more calc reactors then kalc and lastly automated dosing. but dosing is growing now at such a fast rate it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 3 yrs. i learned talking with riddle and sprung that calc reactors were actually designed for a different purpose, to control alk, the calcium released was just a byproduct, yet quickly caught on and now called the calc reactor. they progressed quickly and caught on over here fast.

I agree with your point of view. In the next years we will see the "dosing" growing a lot more here in the US as well. When I went back home for holidays in Italy, last december, I saw lots of people without a calcium reactor. Peristaltic pumps were the mainstream. And T5's. Some leds, growing, and less MH.

I don't know why we use more calcium reactors here: maybe we do like more the "gadget" aspect, maybe we think that a calcium reactor is a less chemical approach, more natural or so.

Here is easier and cheaper to get corals. In Europe you really have to keep and grow fast what you have. And there are more restrictions on importing animals. That's probably why they always are pushed to find some new ways to optimize the reef keeping.

i use alk at a rate of 30% more over my calcium. i use kent salt and it mixes very high in calc so my calc canister always looks full to me. i really got worried at first but after much reading i learned this is normal. seems a lot of r.c. dosers like instant ocean because its low in calcium.

grassi......how do you like that bubble magus skimmer? is it as nice as it looks? the finsh work is very clean, i seen these and a their doser on a tank in san jose last month. both worked excellent but the shop was pumping the skimmers way too hard for me to take their advice. the one i looked at was just installed with no skimmate?? looked like it was about to foam the shop a foot deep thru the cap holes but nothing seemed brown?

I use kent too, that's why I didn't feel the need of a calcium reactor.

I always read ca where it should be and I do weekly water change.

I think Kent is the highest on calcium between the commercial salt mixes. I tested the new salt water once and it was at 480!

I love my skimmer. For that cost, you can't find anything so performing and well built.

I skim kinda dry. I will post some pics next time I clean the cup. I have to clean it every 4/5 days at least.

I am using a kalk reactor and calcium reactor.

My pH is very stable, lows are 8.153-8.17 day time hits a high of 8.25.

Have no idea there was this balling option. But think I will stick with what I have for now, as it is stable and I just dumped a ton of money into it! LOL

If your tank is stable there is no reason to change.

The balling is one of the options. The kalk/ca reactors combo is a good one too.

Lots of people use it with great results.

I didn't invest on a calcium reactor yet, so for me the balling is a nice way to go.

The results are probably gonna be similar, but with less equipment and possible faulty parts around. Keep it in mind for your second reef tank (I know you are gonna add one soon!!!)

Other than ph, what's your alk, calcium and magnesium before and after water change?

So you pulled the CaRx ofline and are just using the Kalk as a top off-HMMM

I tried a different approach using the KalkRx with my CaRx,

My Ca hit 500, My KH went to over 13, plus it was adding a little more water than was evaporating-Basically I had the Kalk reactor dosing during the lights out period (Metal Halides) if the PH hit a certain pre-programmed value.

Just not sure what I am going to end up with, but I like the positive change I have seen in 24 hours with the second chamber-

Good to know though

Thanks!

(backtotopic)

Yah i have a 10gal tank with a pump in it that pumps into my sump. I got thru 10gal in about a week, maybe 10 days. After its emptied i fill er up with RO, add 20 teaspoons of kalk, toss in a maxijet for 15min and i'm good to go for another 7-10 days. Params have been rock steady up until a month or so ago, when alk started being depleted faster than it used to.

Miles' date=' let me know before you order one. I'm probably gonna follow you. I kinda know Chris, the guy from Nuocean and maybe we can have a little discount. [/quote']

Cool!!! I will definitely let you know. I'm thinking sometime in the next couple months maybe, what kind of time table were you thinking?