New Member Intro-ReefSafari

ReefSafari

Greeting fellow reefers,

My name is David Kendrick, my wife (Amanda Kingsbury) and I live up the Columbia Gorge near Hood River, We both have enjoyed the Aquarium hobby for many years, and only recently finally chose to give reef tanks a try. We are always trying to learn anything we can, this is a fantastic hobby with great people, so far we have been having a lot of fun.

As of right now we just have two tanks setup, a 40g and a 15g, and itching to set up a bigger one. We have a little of everything, SPS, LPS, Softies, Zoa's, Clams...I am the kind of person that will give anything a try, I have found somethings I am great at keeping while others not so much..lol

After visiting many of the local reef shops, they kept asking me if I was a Member of PNWMAS...(scratch) So I looked them up, and am thrilled to be part of this online community. I look forward to learning from you all, and sharing pics of my living creatures.

Here are a few to get started...

038.jpg

014-1.jpg

010-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

Welcome aboard, give us a break down on your tank if you wouldn't mind, we always enjoy learning more about member's tanks.

Great looking pics btw, you may come to hate the GSP though lol it grows like a weed on steroids at times.

And very nice clam, I'm looking forward to getting one myself.

Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome(clap)

Welcome aboard' date=' give us a break down on your tank if you wouldn't mind, we always enjoy learning more about member's tanks..[/quote']

Well...I almost hate to say details...as I am at that stage of learning pretty much everything I am doing is not really what I want to be doing...and now wish I would have done everything different...if that makes scense..lol

We started out buying a 40g Column tank out of impulse, we had not had an aquarium for a few years, had to break them all down when we moved and where waiting for our new house to be built. My wife really liked the 40g Column so we got it...Started out with some live rock..some damsels (Another mistake..DOH!)...we had a Current Sataliete dual PC on the tank...which is now on the 15g...

The tanks are not where I want them to be, but will be changing things up in the near future...but right now...

40g Column

about 45-50 pound of live rock

Marineland Back Pack filter with Eshopps Protien Skimmer, Current 250w Sunpod 14k Stock Bulb...

Fish- Royal Gramma, Clarki Clown, 2 Chromis, 6 line Wrasse

Inverts- Cleaner Shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, Clams (Maxima and Derasa), Large Haddoni Carpet Anemone and a small clean up crew

Corals-Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Trumpet Coral, Platygyra, Pink Birdsnest, Hydnophora, GSP, Ricordia, Zoanthids, Xenia, 2 ToadStool Leather (Golden and Tyree Green), mushrooms, Pagoda Cup Coral...

Now...in the next few months, this will all slowly start to change over to a new larger tank...but for now everything is beautiful and healthy and surprisingly doing very well.

The 15g we had setup as a frag tank...as we have been fragging the Xenia and GSP's...but we gave away all the frags and my wife took over the tank and has made that her little setup...she mainly keeps Zoanthids, some mushrooms, leather corals (Toadstool, Kenyan Tree, Green Sinulara), pom pom zenia, Paly's...ect..

This tank is actually getting redone tonight as well...it had 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Purple Psudo, and a Fire Shrimp...they have been in there quite a while...but we are going to change things up and redo the way its setup..

That tank has the Dual PC's, Marineland Backpack, NanoSkimmer

Great looking pics btw, you may come to hate the GSP though lol it grows like a weed on steroids at times...

Already there...lol, Its cool...especially under actinic lighting...bright green...but its like xenia...you really have to watch it...I bought two big chunks of live rock with it on there...I am trying to get it to grow on the sides of the tank...lol

And very nice clam, I'm looking forward to getting one myself.

They are awsome...I love them, I want to setup a "Clam Tank" also...There are so many different colors/patterns...they are probably the most addicting things I have come across...I don't think I go a day without seeing one I just have to have..."only if I had a big tank devoted to just clams"...lol

If you are going 65, you may as well go to 75 LOL. It seems that people with smaller tanks always upgrade, and those with larger want to down-size. I think the 75 is a great size. It is 48" long (same length as a 55g) so it can fit a T5 light or a dual 250w halide perfectly (400w would be blazing bright! Acros would be lovin it), and just deep enough that I can put my arm in and touch the bottom (only get my shirt slieve wet if I don't pull it up all the way). And it has some nice depth front to back for some really cool ability to make coves and caves.

All in all, I really like the 75g tank that I have.

dsoz

If you are going 65, you may as well go to 75 LOL. It seems that people with smaller tanks always upgrade, and those with larger want to down-size. I think the 75 is a great size. It is 48" long (same length as a 55g) so it can fit a T5 light or a dual 250w halide perfectly (400w would be blazing bright! Acros would be lovin it), and just deep enough that I can put my arm in and touch the bottom (only get my shirt slieve wet if I don't pull it up all the way). And it has some nice depth front to back for some really cool ability to make coves and caves.

All in all, I really like the 75g tank that I have.

dsoz

LOL-I have the 75 and wish I would have gone to the 90. Its the same footprint and where I bought mine the 90 was only 22 dollars more-worst savings I have ever made.

Welcome to the site !

LOL-I have the 75 and wish I would have gone to the 90. Its the same footprint and where I bought mine the 90 was only 22 dollars more-worst savings I have ever made.

Welcome to the site !

The down side to the 90 is the depth. You need to take a bath to reach the bottom of the tank. Also, 250w halides would be a bit small for a tank that deep. You would probably need to go up to 400w.

Undrtkr_00 has a 110 (I think) that has the same footprint, but it is just too dang tall for me. It is OK for him because he has longer arms and can reach the bottom.

dsoz

The down side to the 90 is the depth. You need to take a bath to reach the bottom of the tank. Also, 250w halides would be a bit small for a tank that deep. You would probably need to go up to 400w.

Undrtkr_00 has a 110 (I think) that has the same footprint, but it is just too dang tall for me. It is OK for him because he has longer arms and can reach the bottom.

dsoz

Yeah, it has the same footprint. I can barely reach the bottom, but I don't think I'd do another 30" tall tank. if looking for a 4' long tank, I'd probably go with a 125 (48x24x24). Or possibly a 90.

Welcome! Not too far from you in Gresham (well, compared to Tigard or Beaverton)(laugh)

If you're thinking 90 gallon, might as well go with the 120! The 4x2x2 footprint is nice, giving you width and depth front to back. But yes, taller tank=longer arms! I'm 6'5" so reaching the bottom is easy! It getting under the stand for my problems! DOH!

Ok, next person should be talking you up from a 120 to a 180!! (laugh)

Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome...and the recomendations for larger tanks!

Welcome! Not too far from you in Gresham (well, compared to Tigard or Beaverton)(laugh)

Ok, next person should be talking you up from a 120 to a 180!! (laugh)

Yeah! Gresham is just a hop, skip and jump from us...(rock2) Its great to meet people that are near us that are into the same hobby...This forum is Awsome!

The only downside to the BIG tanks is everything becomes massively expensive...More live rock, Bigger lighting, Bigger Filtration (Skimmer, sump, ect.)...

I have been pretty happy with our smaller tanks, your just limited to what all you can put in there, we have run out of space to put new stuff..(scratch) Thats the only downside I have noticed with the smaller "Nano" type tanks...A 120 would be cool though...hmmm..

Welcome New "TOAD" Glad to have ya. It is a hard decision on what size tank to get. Everybody wants a bigger tank. I would suggest going as large as possible. The MarineLand tanks are very nice with the crystal clear glass. I have a 210 ALL GLASS( by the way they are on sale at the wholesalers) with a 75 as the sump. I would like to go with 500, but am looking into the 300 Marinel and with Starfire glass. Always buy bigger than you need You will save a lot of money in the long run. A 6 foot long 90 gal tank takes the same lighting as a 300 gal.

Yes, things are more expensive for larger tanks in some cases, but not always. You're probably looking at similar lighting for a 75 vs a 90 vs a 120 (assuming they are all 4' long).

I started out with 110g, and it has taken a long time to start looking "full", but that has all been part of the fun. If I had gotten a small tank and filled it up right away, I would have either upgraded or gotten bored with it. Now that I've had my tank for about 3 years, I'm starting to think about a 180 or 240.