Fishs' picture with Santa at our Toy and Food Drive

Ronjunior

OK, maybe the dog, kids, family, or just yourself. I'm just about ready to print our flyers for our Annual Toy and Food Drive / neighborhood Christmas party and distribute throughout our neighborhood; I wanted to make sure we extended the invitation to the group and anyone else you know. We put a sign up on Hwy 212 and all are welcome. Some people come from Gresham and Hillsboro too, not just our neighbors. (Don't tell the kids Santa has a workshop on the west side) A small portion of the Gresham choir have always shown up to do some caroling too. I hope some day our event will be extended to 3 or 4 nights, but this is our first year at doing 2 as to accommodate those going away for the weekend or have a party on Saturday nights. I'm probably too late to get the info into the papers, but I'll try. We're making this event bigger every year and have done so with the donations we collect. Our food collection doubled by the third year! I've crammed my entire truck and canopy full of toys to deliver to KGW and can't wait 'til the day I have to borrow a covered trailer to tow as well!

This is our forth year of doing this and we love it. It's the one time of the year I see people using their umbrellas while hanging around the campfire in our driveway drinking warm goodies. Come out and join us if you can and if you bring a dog and want their picture taken, please wipe their feet; it will save me...er I mean Santa on his dry cleaning. Good chance to practice those camera tips your learned at the last meeting. And no, that is not me in the picture with Santa, only my neighbor is nutty enough to put on elf stockings :)

toydriveflyer2006.jpg

Santa is almost here and we're about ready for his visit. The last lights are up. (bulb count down from previous years, but good enough). Garage is just about photo shoot ready for some of Santa's new scenery this year as well!

Pro Photo Supply is donating rentals of professional lighting equipment this year to boot! I really appreciate their donation and I don't have to worry about kids getting burned on my cheesy halogen work lights. (Santa thanks them too; no more 1000W halogens shining in his eyes)

I'm a bit ticked that my Toy and Food Drive sign on hwy 212 coming into our development went missing today!!!! I could about scream...it's one that cost me money and time in making. I believe the ODOT workers took it when surveying and have to call in the morning to go claim...The county didn't take it, nor did the city of Damascus; I checked. It's amazing with all the signs that go up all year long, mine is gone after 2 days. Maybe they want that $125 permit from me for stocking stuffers...not worth it for a rural fundraiser!

I digress; if you can make, please let me know who your are when you come....I usually don't know most of the people that show up so you won't be alone. This is a very casual come and go atmosphere, but I always keep the fire burning hot so watch the kiddies.

xmas2006.jpg

LOL, you guys must love them big macs to keep that name. No RMcD the III or IV?

About the sign...some kids most have jacked it. Was it on vinyl banner? In Hawaii...you better have them locked up to the pole...but then they still just cut off the vinyl.

LOL, you guys must love them big macs to keep that name. No RMcD the III or IV?

About the sign...some kids most have jacked it. Was it on vinyl banner? In Hawaii...you better have them locked up to the pole...but then they still just cut off the vinyl.

There's no way in heck I was going to put my son through all that! The mac stops here!

No, they were doing some surveying right next to where my sign was and the posts were missing as well.

They also removed a homebuilders sign too. I made it out of wood..too bad there wasn't a political sign still up, I'd attach one to that..they'd never think twice in removing one of those!

I still didn't get my sign back (flame) (enforcer) to ODOT

Let the TV News and Newspapers know about how ODOT is being the Grinch to the kids this year... that should be good for some free advertising. Probably better results than your sign!

Let the TV News and Newspapers know about how ODOT is being the Grinch to the kids this year... that should be good for some free advertising. Probably better results than your sign!

Man that's an awesome idea!!! Let us know when you'll be on TV rofl

The tough part is proving that they did it....they won't return my call. Whoever it was, I hope they feel guilty taking something down like that. I'm puting one up later tonight on poster board and will tape it to a pole...see how long it lasts in the rain. I was thinking of getting a Grinch costume to wear during our Toy Drive, but someone beat me to it!

If I was "breaking the law", I wonder if they slap you with the fine when picking up a sign they admit to removing? I don't understand all the legal mumbo jumbo and what/when/where I can put one up. Need an attorney to figure it all out which isn't worth it; although, my neighbor is a lawyer, I'll see if he can help for next year. I should make the state come out and map out the exact area I can place a sign without trouble. I'm probably breaking the law for having REJOICE in lights on our fence as well. It's $100 fine/day!

Every time I've dropped off a truck load of toys, they end up filming it for that news day. I usually feel silly; last year they asked me some questions and I sounded like a blabbering fool. They cut the voice part out for the 5:00 and 11:00 news thank goodness. I used to do a radio show without a hitch, but nobody can see me there and was OK with it.

The tough part is proving that they did it....they won't return my call. Whoever it was, I hope they feel guilty taking something down like that. I'm puting one up later tonight on poster board and will tape it to a pole...see how long it lasts in the rain. I was thinking of getting a Grinch costume to wear during our Toy Drive, but someone beat me to it!

QUOTE]

Well, the guilty party called me this morning and said my sign is sitting by the garbage area. Hopefully I can find time to pick it up after getting food barrels, lighting and firewood today!

We survived night one....not as crowded as I'd thought (hoped) and donations were a little low, but what was funny is, some people came tonight and brought food, but are bringing toys tomorrow, some toys and food tomorrow! Guess we'll see in the end. Thought I'd post my favorite pic of the night, but couldn't decide so put up 2.

I think Santa just told her what she's getting for Christmas and it must be good!

picofnight1.jpg

picofnight2.jpg

Well, we had more people show up than ever and was a great weekend! Donations were a bit thinner this year, especially for 2 nights, but we had a mountain bike donated which was a first for us! The food barrel was overflowing for the Oregon Food Bank!

I drop the stuff off at KGW in the morning on Thursday, don't know if they'll air it or not, but if you see a long haired hippie wanna be, that's me.

toys.jpg