yellow tang hurt!!!

powdertang05

I would catch him and get the spine out, otherwise, he should be fine. going to be a 2 person job, 1 to hold him steady and another to tweazer it out. If you have cleaners let them try first. But watch them like a hawk! If the spine is penetrating organs though, I would not pull it. Let nature take its course, but thats just an opinion.

I'd be looking up about the toxin leaching...especially if you think about leaving it in. The locals in Fiji told us if we stepped on one' date=' to take it out and pee on it.....can't say what that would do for a fish though. (nutty)[/quote']

Now why would anybody pee on the urchin!!!!!!!!!!

It's bad enough that ya stepped on it!!!(laugh) And where are you taking it out to? The bar for a date.

Now why would anybody pee on the urchin!!!!!!!!!!

It's bad enough that ya stepped on it!!!(laugh) And where are you taking it out to? The bar for a date.

Figured a smarty pants would step in....I thought I was to pee on the piece we took out since it would likely have P!$$d me off :)

Hopefully the tang will be OK, sure it hurts like crazy! Probably worse than a bee sting I'm sure.

I never did step on one, but came darned close a few times without a fin on. At first, I was terrified of what I thought were sea snakes too. I think they were some kind of long sea slugs or some sort. All this talk about Fiji makes me want to break out the honeymoon pics wherever those are. Every time I see one of those spiny urchans at the LFS, I think of the trip. I have a few pics to post on our boards that people might like to see, but don't have a flatbed scanner, just a roller type that I'm afraid to put a photo through.

The natives walked around barefoot around the reefs all the time, sticking their hands into crevices I wasn't about to. They were pulling out hundreds of mini octopus for food. I didn't want to be nipped at by the eels so I didn't dare. Call me chicken, but I hear people are afraid of their own tanks! :). Those little octopus were so darned good cooked up in the wine sauce; the wife thought they were good too until she realized what was in that rice salad :) I wasn't going to tell her what she was eating, I was rather enjoying the silent chuckle.

Someone ought to start a thread somewhere about their trips and what they saw out snorkeling or diving..with pics too.

Isn't the pee supposed to be acidic??? I don't want to see you loose the tang. I'm wondering, at least for reefers that get poked, if viniger would be the trick, and also, the spines are barbed, correct? so if it is just a small piece sticking out instead of possibly increasing the hole, wound, wouldn't it be better to snip off, what you can. Do you think a couple props of diluted viniger on the stot would help to detox it? (on the tang) a little late with the idea. But RonJ gave me the idea. I beleave the toxin is an alkaline.

ok update a cleaner shrimp took it out and now its like a cut on both sides are full of blood and a little from the wound they have a cloged up not so its now a darker black to maroon he seems to be fine im not worried im sure he will be fine but for awhile he gets double feed to help him get back strong but thanks alot for the ideas and the peeing one but it looks like the cleaner shrimp got to it before i could pee on it lol