Ancient History

andy

Any oldtimers have pictures of their pre-historic tanks?

Here's a pic of my first SW tank, c. 1987 -- a 30gal complete with under-gravel filter, Aqua-Clear HOB and NO fluorescent. Get a load of the LE corals! The firefish and hippotang actually did pretty well. The mandarin and juvenile Koran angel (neither in the picture) didn't fare so well.

SWTank1987.png

OMG.. that brings back memories. I used to use dead coral decorations in my first tanks too. Still have boxes of the corals in the basement.

It was so hard at first to switch out the pretty coral decorations for the live rock. I hated how it looked. But I got use to it. I sure dont have the colors I used to have. Can only have mostly softies. I guess I can say my colors are in my fish.

Wow - that's great. My first tank was in college, so probably only a few years after your pic. 40gal. I had the same blue-dyed coral and under-gravel filter. That tank was a death trap - sorry fish.

The newest technology at the time was wet-dry filters, but I was a poor college kid and couldn't even think of affording that.

Wow - that's great. My first tank was in college, so probably only a few years after your pic. 40gal. I had the same blue-dyed coral and under-gravel filter. That tank was a death trap - sorry fish.

The newest technology at the time was wet-dry filters, but I was a poor college kid and couldn't even think of affording that.

The blue colored rock is naturally that color after the coral dies from what i understand. That's the skeleton of a blue ridge coral. My dad had saltwater tanks while i was growing up and he had some very large pieces of this in his 125. i'd post some pics if i had some but i don't.