What should my new fish be?

Emerald525

I'm going in with Wanareef on the Saltwater fish buy. (clap)I would appreciate any suggestions on what fish to get. I want a reef safe fish to replace the flame that was not so reef safe after all. Not interested in any "possibly reef safe" "might be reef safe" because it's a pain catching fish that snack on expensive corals.DOH!

Hardy and peaceful with some personality would be nice too. This sounds like a singles add now.

I currently have the following in the 150 gallon reef tank:

2 mated pair black and white clowns

1 flasher wrasse

2 hippo tangs

1 lawnmower blenny

1 purple firefish

1 spotted mandarin

The blue throats are really cool. They aren't available. I couldn't find anything about whether they did or not. We tried a picasso trigger in the tank but it did keep trying to eat the shrimp.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Picassos= no.

Blue throats, crosshatches, sargassumm and goldenbacks are all considered reef safe. Even Nigers I believe.

I have been toying with getting some anthias myself for color. Just picking the right onesDOH!

Good luck and post up some picks when you find one.

• Like 1

would a midas blenny live nicely with the lawnmower blenny???

Does anyone know??

We had our Midas with a Redlip (or Horseface) blenny. I have heard that the Redlips are similar to the lawnmower in terms of temperment and habits. Our Redlip was aggressive to most of the fish in the tank, but completely ignored the Midas.

Spotted hawkfish, small, seemed friendly in my FOWLR tank, all though I did have my XMAS wrasse jump for no apparent reason, soon as I put it in my 180 everyone went nuts. Lost both my firefish(would not come out, think they starved to death), My shrimp hid and would only come out at night. He never went after them, just sat there staring at them(plotting). Chased even the tangs around. Shortly there after my midas that had never even gone towards the surface jumped.

I put him back in my FOWLR tank and added a diamond gobie and he litterally tore it apart in a matter of minutes. He was about 1.5 inches.

I love hawkfish, would love to have a pair of flames, but I wont risk that again.

Good choice on the midas, beautiful fish. You might check with others and their experiences with LMBs. Mine may have been a fluke.

I used to have a lawnmower blenny that had a complete cow when I tried to add a midas blenny. I could never catch the little guy and the lawnmower ended up killing him. I had the lawnmower in the tank for a quite awhile, very peaceful toward other fish though.

I just got a watchman goby, he is pretty interesting too.

Thanks for the information. From what I read it says proceed with caution with another Blenny. I think I will give it a try. It's a 150 gallon tank with a lot of live rock so hopefully it will be okay.

The lawnmower Blenny is almost impossible to catch so I hope it works out. Leaves everything alone right now.