Alk high or ok??

tanktop74

Ok all you chemistry geeks... I need me some help....

I tested my water just for the heck of it (actually emerald525 wanted to know what our Nitrates our).... and this is what I got.

pH 8.25-8.3

Alk 5.0meq/L which translates to 14dka!

Mag 950 (been dosing, cant seem to get it any higher than this!)

Calcium 400

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0.7

phos 0

amonia 0

So what do you make of the high alk? or is it really ok?

I am running both a calcium reactor and Kalk reactor, Kalk is barely dripping, I would say maybe 7-10 drops a minute.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Beth

ps... did I mention everything looks great!?!? except my anemone which is pissed off because I keep pointing my powerhead at it to keep it away from my sps collection.

Kh of 14 is high but nothing to freak about, let it dissipate out. Mine jumped to 16 when my Kalk reactor basically emptied itself into my sump-that's another thread. I keep my tank around 10-11, presently 11.8. I'm still working on dialing in the new Apex with the Ca reactor Kalk reactor combo, making adjustments daily. Since the Kalk reactor adds Ca and KH, I need to cut back in the dosing for the Ca reactor.

I'll shot you a PM with my settings for my Apex on my Ca and Kalk reactors if your are interested (to compare) just PM me

I think you can dose 100ppm of mag a day as max- What are you dosing for Mg? I am using Mg chloride since I have the Ca reactor, as to Mg Sulfate

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium/magnesium-supplements-for-aquariums

make sure salinity is above 1.023-that was my problem when trying to get my mg up to low of Sg-I was dumping alot of Kents Mag product and could not get above 1280-blah blah blah

Beth' date=' you might want to upgrade your test kits to either elos or saliferts, they're the acknowleged leaders in test kits.[/quote']

Hmmmm can I get those at bulk reef supply??? Guess I might be adding these to the list! My mag actually is an Elos test kit, just picked it up from Isaac a couple weeks ago!

I would back off the Kalk a bit which would lower Alk and allow you to raise your mag and calcium easier.

I do like the idea of using a calcium reactor and Kalk dosiing.

BTW: I was using the Tech M/algae dosing plan. And raising 80-100ppm per day and it seemed like there was little reaction and then all of a sudden it jumped to 1900 using a Salifert test. I wanted it in that area but it was a suprise. My salinity was at 1.026 which I had to watch since the Mg added to salinity.

This will just raise the alk higher though.....

This is what I thought too when I used to have a similar problem.

I was trying to follow some indications similar to what you can find here:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

(correction to zone 3).

And to add more source of alk sounded a bad idea to me as well. And it was clear to me to add some sort of ca, without any alk with it.

It wasn't working. Then somebody suggested me to let my tank mature a bit, but to buffer the water change (yes I know, sounds you are doing the opposite).

It worked for me. I don't know if it was just time or the buffer. I didn't change anything else (Kent and Limewater as usual).

I think this could be the point, but I just suppose:

"If, for example, you add too much of a calcium supplement, you will drive down alkalinity as you get precipitation of calcium carbonate in the tank."

This is true, in a well established and populated tank.

In a relatively new tank if you add some sort of calcium (Kent is known to have an high ca level) there aren't a lot of organic acids that can neutralize ions (-) so your alk increase instead of decrease. And you start a buffering "dance" (as described by Moe in some of his books).

This is why it is suggested to test at really frequent interval (2hrs or so).

Buffering before you add new water can prevent this "dance" in a relatively new tank.

Yes, I was suggesting that I was following the article and it did not work.

Then somebody suggested to do something at the opposite and it worked out well.

What I'm saying is that adding calcium (like CaCl2) could raise the alk instead of lowering in a new tank for the limited presence of organic acids.

But I really think it is a manner of time and dosing this and that can just make it more difficult to control.