110 Gal Marineland Commercial System, coldwater setup.

AquaticEngineer

Very cool. How large of an area does that 50w LED cover?

With the 60 degree lens on it it covered one whole side of my tank which is a 48" long tank very easily being held about 8" off the water.

The best reaction I got was from my wife when I showed my 50w led light vs the 75w incandescent light that lights my garage and told her that my light is using 25 watts less :D

Very cool. How large of an area does that 50w LED cover?

I just tested that out using the tiles on my counter top that are 12x12 tiles.

I used my level on its end to so I had a measure of height, and for every 12" in height I went up it would cover the same number of cubic inches.

So when I held it at 12" it covered a 12" x12" square just about perfectly since the LED chip is square the light footprint that is cast out of the lens is also square :D

So when I held it up to 24" high it covered a 24" x 24" square.

So I'd imagine a 20 or 30 watt one of these with a fan, heatsink, 60 degree lens and a fixture to house it all in would run a little less than mine something like $60-$65 to put together and it would definitely take care of a 12x12x12 fresh water cube :D

Or you could get one of those flood light fixtures for around $39.99 and then just buy the smaller reflector and 60 degree optic for like $6 from ebay.

Now your thinking!!! Thanks a bunch for the info, i really do appreciate it.

I think i'd like to buy the LED, heatsink, rig up a fan and mount it all in some sort of swing arm desk lamp. Hopefully i can get my 75gal taken down and then go to work on doing this :D

I've got one of those sitting in my box-o-old-computer-crap ;)

NICE!! Just make sure it'll fit inside the lamp you chose and that the fan size corresponds as well. The heatsink I used was designed to be used in a retro fit style setup not really an enclosed fixture, so we'll see how it goes. That's why this one is just the test model I guess(laugh)

• 2 months later...

Pics of some of the livestock that was out and ready to be photographed today :D

Grunt Sculpin looking like a barnacle, couple corynactis.

IMG_20110723_200341.jpg

Orange Plumose

IMG_20110723_200408.jpg

Striped sunflower star

IMG_20110723_200424.jpg

Larger of my Snailfish, of course its the ugly brown one not the cool yellow one that comes out.

IMG_20110723_195710.jpg

Northern Kelp Crab

IMG_20110723_195722.jpg

Fringed Tube Worm Colonie - Dodecaceria fewkesi

IMG_20110723_195736.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its all up and running, but I still gotta mess with the lighting.

Got it hooked into one of the 110 gallon lobster tanks. Selling the other lobster tank on sunday.

I was able to use almost every drop of the water from the lobster tank I am selling, so I only had to mix up 90 gallons of new water to go into the tank. Once it was all hooked up there was 220 gallons of cycled water and 90 gallons of new on the 310 gallon combined system.

I'll post more pictures of it once I get a chance to go collecting and stock it up a bit ;)

IMG_20110929_205654.jpg

Got all the fish and inverts moved over to the 200 gallon from the 110's.

Did a little aquascaping, but really all there is left to do is paint the back of the tank ( I know I should have done it before I filled it, but I wanted to see what it looked like clear first, lol) and place a few more barnacles with corynactis on them that I have still in the lobster tank. I think I may add more sand to the left side.

Photo and a quick shotty video I took.

IMG_20111004_170126.jpg

VIDEO:

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Stuwobbe/Coldwater%20tanks/?action=view&current=200gallontankoctober4th2011.mp4

th_200gallontankoctober4th2011.jpg

• 10 years later...