110 Gal Marineland Commercial System, coldwater setup.

AquaticEngineer

Once I get the final pieces cut for the false bottom of the cube tank all the heavily fed animals will be going in that tank since it has a refrigerated auto feeder (copied from your design ;) ) on it. I ended up putting the auto feeder on a closed loop by itself, so when the tank is not being fed there will be quite a bit of flow, but while being fed it will cut down to about half flow. The intake for the closed loop is on the very bottom of tank below the false bottom so all the detritus and food that settles to the bottom will be pulled in and cycled back into the water column.

As for the eel grass....I grew eel grass for about a year before I tired of it. It is fairly easy to grow...but, the problem is....that the conditions necessary to grow the eel grass also are the conditions necessary for nuisance algae. I was constantly battling nuisance algae growing on the eel grass (same with kelp) and killing it off. Perhaps I should try again since my current system is much more capable of nutrient control. The eel grass is very attractive.

Hopefully its such a small tank I am growing it in that it wont be much of a problem. I'm going to move over some of the snails I have in the big tank that were meant to be a food source for the starfish over into the eelgrass tank and see how they do with algae.

I'm also trying out a semi aquatic plant that grows in estuaries and tidal marshes. We'll see if it survives long enough for me to get the tank I want to put it in made and plumbed into the system. If not, I found a place in the UK that sells a similar species for dirt cheap. I can always go back and actually dig up a whole plant with roots and sand and bring it back instead of just clippings too.(laugh)

Did you catch the fish? He is super cool!!!

Yup....with my bare hands :D

I got 5 of them total, they are a species of tidal sculpin. Cant remember the name right now, but the 4 larger ones I caught are difinately getting frisky with each other. Looks like I have 2 males and 2 females, and the males are fighting over the same female. Might have to seperate them since they manage to find eachother even in a 110 gallon.

• 1 month later...

OK, so this throws another nice twist into my plans for a custom built acrylic coldwater tank.

The guy I bought my 110 Marineland tank from is a commercial recycler and just called me to see if I was interested in another one.

I told him depending on price and condition that it was in I would be interested, and if not me I know a few people who might be :)

I'm not really sure what I'll do with it other than set it up right next to my other one and use them both as display sumps in the garage for the indoor tank, but hell that'd be cool too B)

If I buy this it'll stall the custom build by a few months, but in the end I think it will be much better having 220 gallons of sump, with 2x3/4 horse chillers 2xUV filters, 2xskimmers, 2x mechanical filtration on my system.

What do you guys think?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would give you guys a picture update of my tank, all the starfish and the gorgonians in here I have had since November of last year. Most of the anemones and the Corynactis I've had since July of last year.

Here's a couple pics of my orange Ochre Star eating snails from the market.

IMG_20110331_135433.jpg

IMG_20110331_135419.jpg

Picture to show you the size of the Bat Stars and Ochre Stars, I got big hands too.

IMG_20110331_152117.jpg

My abalone with my finger in the shot for size reference.

IMG_20110331_135522.jpg

My slowly growing strawberry fields :D

IMG_20110331_135643.jpg

Gorgonians :D

IMG_20110329_180140.jpg

IMG_20110331_135656.jpg

IMG_20110331_135555.jpg

IMG_20110331_135611.jpg

IMG_20110331_135629.jpg

Anemones :D

IMG_20110331_135713.jpg

IMG_20110329_180212.jpg

IMG_20110331_135734.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by a local seafood market and picked up 6 live spot prawns for $4.95 :D Got em drip acclimated and in the tank but they are all still getting used to the new surroundings.

I'll snap some pics of mine tomorrow, but in case you don't know what these are here is some images I pulled off of google.

spot-prawn-picture-14957-409572.jpg

prawn1.jpg

spot prawns...yummy! oh i mean' date=' beautiful:) Are they making it in the tank?[/quote']

Yeah I bought 6 of them and 3 died due to handling.

You have to be very specific when telling them what you want them for so they dont just grab them and crush their legs and bodys as they toss them in the bag.

But the 3 I still have are doing awesome :D

Just brought back a ton of stuff from the coast yesterday, here's a quick list of things we got:

3 different colors of Rock Sculpin

1 large different type of sculpin unlike the rock sculpins ( need to grab my book and ID him)

2 Large Green Rock Gunnels ( Which may be a male and female because we did see lots of baby gunnels so small they were still clear with just yellow eyes and less than an inch long)

Purple Urchins

Aggregating Anemones

Green Anemones

2 Varietys of Orange Hyrdroids ( the ones the opalescent nudbranchs eat, we watched them eat some and found a lot of them laying eggs within the hydroids)

3 colors of Ochre stars in varying sizes

Kelp Crabs

3 color varients of chitons

Several Large feather duster tube worms

Different Algaes and seagrass'

Hell I'll have to go home and take an inventory, the only thing we didnt get some of that we found where the several different colors of sponge from black to green, yellow to orange, and bright red. Left them there since we didnt know for sure if we could keep them alive longe term.

you need to post the lame pictures of us hahaha cant wait to get my share of livestock in my tank!

You must mean these AWESOME PICTURES right? ;)

I think its funny that we didnt even think to take pictures because we were to excited to get down there, lol.

IMG_20110420_091151.jpg

IMG_20110420_091145.jpg

IMG_20110420_091217.jpg

That's right, I'm the most hardcore tidepooler on this BEACH!!! lol.

So now that I have both of my 110's up and running, I've decided to make one of them a NPS deepwater biotope and the other a tidal Oregon Coast biotope. There is a little bit of cross over in some of the inhabitants but not much. This'll give me a few more options on livestock and tank design.

They will still be used eventually as the powerplants for filtration and cooling on the indoor tank.

Oh yeah, and the monster display tank inside the house will still be the pylon idea :D