110 Gal Marineland Commercial System, coldwater setup.

AquaticEngineer

Well not much to post yet but a couple of pics I took, but I couldn't pass this one up, I think I've talked about buying one of these since I was 19.

I bought a 110 gallon Marineland Commercial grade system, the guy is holding onto it for me until I get moved into my new place next month. He had it full of water and running when I got there, came out of an Alberstons.

The chiller is totally functional, louder I think that I would want, but working.

I think I've talked about buying one of these since I was 19.

Anyways, any suggestions on where to start for a cold water marine system? Is there anyone in the area that knows someone who is using one of these systems currently? I would love to pick their brains and get some opinions.

I will post more pics with a decent camera once I get it home. But for now, here is some from my phone.

19e3ac94.jpg

232ba301.jpg

506d70c6.jpg

8801be47.jpg

303d11f1.jpg

20fe598d.jpg

Found THIS MANUAL for the system.

Here is some specs on the tank:

Dimensions:

50” L x 271/2” w x 53” H* (tank height is about 25")

System Capacity:

110 gal*

Weight

625 lbs.*

Recommended Load:

Lobster:75 - 100 Lbs.

*approximate

Power

Requirements:

110 volts, 15 Amps

Filtration:

Mechanical Filtration:

One 71/2”x 14” Polyfiber Pad

Chemical Filtration:

One Filter Pack containing

1lb.Magnum Activated

Carbon

Wet/Dry Biological

Filter:

One CBW-1 Commercial

BIO-Wheel

UV Treatment:

Angstrom 2537® Ultraviolet

Sterilizer

Installation

Connections:

Electric Supply:

115 VAC., 60 Hz, 15 AMP

Recommendation:

20 AMP Dedicated Circuit

Sump Drain:

3/4”Flexible Tubing

Protein Skimmer

Discharge:

Dedicated or Container

Refrigeration:

1/2 HP, Compressor with

Helical Heat Exchanger

The oregon coast is now your friend. Choose wisely where to pick from(some spots are not legal) and get up to ten items per day per person for the tank!!!

This may sound crazy, but I thought briefly about doing a cold water as an outdoor covered pond.(nutty) Lots of work to get it running right but would be KILLER!

Good luck with the cold water, it'll be sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you guys:

Do you think that I will need to reinforce the flooring underneath this tank? The tank itself with no water weighs in at 650 lbs.

Tank volume is 110 gallons x 9lbs to the gallon = 990 lbs.

Rock weighing in maybe another 100lbs?

Total weight at least 1740 lbs.

The thing that worries me is that this system is on 4 caster wheels, so the weight is distributed to those 4 points on the floor instead of evenly around the edge of a normal stand.

The house is fairly new, built in 2001.

What do you guys think?

is there anyway to remove the caster wheels? that way you can settle the tank completely on the floor?

I'd get under the house and check your bracing, talk to Steve(Saltfinsax), he might even be willin to come out an check for you for the proper enticements LOL

is there anyway to remove the caster wheels? that way you can settle the tank completely on the floor?

I'd get under the house and check your bracing, talk to Steve(Saltfinsax), he might even be willin to come out an check for you for the proper enticements LOL

The way that the stand is setup, it only has access from the sides and the back, so I'd like to keep wheels on it so I can move it if need be to get to the pumps and such. I can access just about everythign from the sides, and I don't anticipate moving it often but I'd like to keep them on just in case.

On the plus side, the crawl space to get under the house is in the closet right next to where the tank will be, and its rather roomy underneath there so checking the bracing should be easy enough.

I don't thing the weight will be a problem less its in a spot where the Joists are in a very long span. The problem you will have is the decking on the Joist might start sagging or even give way and the wheels will pop through from that much PSI on that little spot. Two ways to help is some metal plates under the wheels I guess about 6"x6" should work, but it be kinda ugly and a good toe catcher. The other is find where the wheels set and install some 2x6 blocks right under them. This is kinda tricking as in if the nailing isn't done right the block will just push down from the weight or you put so many nails the integrity of the block or the Joist (I beam flange) is damaged.

If you want to talk more in detail PM your number and we can go at.

Two ways to help is some metal plates under the wheels I guess about 6"x6" should work, but it be kinda ugly and a good toe catcher.

I am planning on tiling in the area where the tank will be sitting, I'm wanting to use large tiles probably larger than 6"x6". Do you think this will distribute the weight evenly enough?

If you want to talk more in detail PM your number and we can go at.

PM coming :)

PM send back

Yes the tile works great and you will know if does start to sag as the tile will crack.

O and the front side of the tank might sag or drop about a 1/8 out level as your back wall shouldn't drop as its close to the supporting wall.

Well mine did anyways

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Quick update:

Been cleaning out the 110 and getting it prepped for paint and changing all the white plastic to black.

Decided that I will probably keep it in the garage due to wiring and weight issues.

BONUS though is I picked up another marineland commercial system that is smaller for inside the house for $50 (rock2)

The model is a ML-22SS, its designed to be a holding tank for shellfish. The tank measures 27x27x13 with an over all height of 50 inches.

The tank has the built in chiller and recirculating pump with the large built in reservoir, but no major filtration so that will be the first mod. If anyone is interested in checking out the tanks and brainstorming a few ideas in the garage with me over some beers shoot me a PM :D

I'll try and start a separate thread for the new tank soon and get some pics up(clap)

I agree with saltfinsax, but either way, even if you support it under the sub flooring, your initial flooring is still going to take the brunt of the force so if you put it on hardwoods or carpet, vinyl? its probably going to indent real nice over a period of time from sitting on it. I think the metal sheet idea or a real thick hard stone tile would work the best, actually concrete would work the best but thats not usually an option unless your in a basement or garage.

If you install tile and put down the large panels of backer board that should help distribute the weight. The backer board is concrete reinforced with mesh in it. I think that would suffice.

Here is how it looks once down

100_2533.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've now started painting the tank now. I have the interior overflow/background painted and I've decided to leave the bottom of the tank white. Reason for this is that on the smaller tank the krylon didn't stick so well to the silicone at the edges, which shows the white underneath anyways. Not a big deal since there will be substrate over it anyhow, and it saves me the hassle of more painting :lol:

I'll get some updated pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Update with some pics.

Filled the tank up in the garage yesterday and cranked the chiller up on high to see what it could do. Yesterdays weather had a high of 84F and a overnight low of 60F, the tank water went in at a temp of 45F and this is the temp this morning.......close to freezing.

37446_402029316055_508601055_484398.jpg

Here are some pics of the tank running, still gotta get salt in it though

36992_402029041055_508601055_484397.jpg

36426_402028861055_508601055_484397.jpg

34600_402029136055_508601055_484397.jpg

Ok here comes another update :)

I painted off the one area I wanted and let the tank sit for a couple days and today I filled it back up.

I decided to keep better records this time about the temperature and how fast the chiller works.

@1:45pm, temp 62.3F water went in at this temp, outside temp was 75F

@2:57pm, temp 57.4F

@3:40pm, temp 54.9F

@4:16pm, temp 53.2F outside temp was up to 82F by now.

@4:55pm, temp 52.0F at this point I turned the chiller off and set it to chill at 54/55 degrees.

So within 3 hours it was able to take over 100 gallons of water down 10 degrees and maintain it while the outside air temperature was in the high 70's and low 80's.

Right now I'm adding the salt to the tank so I should be ready to start cycling it tomorrow. Its holding around 53F now, I may still bump it up a bit for the cycling. I still gotta find a few things like some large nylon bags and some plastic screen mesh. But I may get antsy and go grab some sacrificial clams to get the tank going :lol:

Here's some pics ;)

Start Temp

e7752b20.jpg

FTS filling up

d9e33e20.jpg

All filled and holding steady at 53F

6a722d76.jpg

Built in Protein Skimmer

b5b3391e.jpg

Shot of just the chiller

d03a6df2.jpg

04fa7e7e.jpg