computer questions, again

jgf86123

Have any of you computer guys ever heard of an anti-virus program called Avira? Is it safe or is it a scam? Cause ever since my gf's dad installed Avira on his computer, his printer has been schitzo, as soon as you print a page, it now powers off, it tells you ever 10 seconds its out of ink, even when it has brand new cartridges, and the support people for Lexmark are a bunch of morons who couldn't find their nether regioin with both hands, a map, a compass and a pair of guides. Sorry, I've spent the last hour trying to fix this and nothing is working. I've replaced the ink cartridges twice in the last hour and it is still saying that its low on ink, I'm going insane and have no idea how to fix this, and apparently neither do the technicians at lexmark.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, it's a Lexmark x6650 all in one printer. I've reinstalled the software, including the drivers, 4 times today, and still nothing is working.

TIA

Yes, I've used it before, but it slowed down my computer so much when scanning that I switched to something else.

Have you tried to disable/uninstall the virus program to see if the printer acts normal then?

Is it just the antivirus, or the suite with the firewall?

ive disabled the anti-virus, an the printer still powers down as soon as it prints a single page, even if you have a 10 page print job, it prints one an its done

on a side note, i did get the cartridge problem fixed, finally, i had to go in and manually reset the defaults

Re: computer questions, again

you dang mac lovers kill me...

those with pc problems give me a call or pm me

avira is crap

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MAC OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p

I (HEART) mac!!!

i too (heart) mac....gotta have some dark to appreciate the light

as for antivirus...Nod 32 is as good as it gets....you can find it at www.eset.com

See...I don't think they even MAKE an antivirus program for the Mac.

Methinks you've got your light and dark mixed up BTW. ;)

Thats because it's not smart to put time and money into something that is useless. You'd just open it up and it would say

"Congratulations, you've bought an apple, and you have no viruses"

(whistle)

in all honesty no free antivirus is worth while.....you can view all the missed threats or wild viruses from antivirus apps on eset.com

need i post the whole trojan outbreak and virus lists for mac again?

if you guys dont have an av app you might want to rethink your philosophy

I work for Microsoft and we use the same program as Security Essentials to keep our computers safe. I trust it on my home computer as well, it is free. But I also have only ever had one virus and I did not run any antivirus software at the time I got it, a free scan found it. 9+ years and only one virus, I think that's pretty good considering most the time I didn't run antivirus software.

I don't even need to say anything about the mac debate, Windows 7 speaks for itself. I'm a PC and I run Windows 7.

Just the fact you expect it is good enough for me-LMAO

Maybe buy a Prius while your at it-(laugh)

(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)(flame)

Laugh it up fuzzball (laugh)......There has NEVER been a successful virus on the Mac. Many have tried, but none have succeeded (despite the purported list Eric posted before). I've owned one since 1986, and have never had to deal with spyware, Trojans, backdoors etc. while Microsoft releases a security patch at least once a week. If your car, or anything else you owned, performed as terrible as Windoze, people would be screaming bloody murder. Why people put up with such a piece of c**p is beyond me. And those who say that windows 7 is the best ever, well we've been hearing that since windows 95, and it still ain't true.

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any Apple stock AND I work for the largest PC maker in the world.

Ive always wanted a Mac, the last time I looked into them they had about 1-100th the software available. Several programs I used were specific to Windows at the time ( Vegas Video- originally Sonic Foundry) not to mention the gaming world.

I think their editing software was Final Cut but I just remember no software. The other issue I remember is not being able to build your own Mac, has this changed? I have built my own puters since the mid 90s because it USED to be cost effective.

I also went over a decade without Virus software, infact I just recently bought Bit Defender because my wife wiped out a laptop on our network which also has my theaters HTPC, and my personal computers.

what are you talking about? mac has sick games....like minesweeper, and uh.....oh wait....no they dont have that....hmm....they do have minesweeper.

here is a question for all of you pro mac's....what percentage of the market do they have? i will give you a hint....its under 10. so what respectable virus maker would waist his time writting something for a computer that has less than 10% of the market?

mac is best before 10am....try their macsausage sandwiches with hashbrowns.....