What to do if you have metal in your tank\sump?

CA2OR

I was doing a top off when something just dawned on me.....when I set up this tank Patrick and I put one of my hose clamps on the part where the hose connects to the return pump....then after a few minutes we thought about putting the return internal on this tank....so we did.....well as I was doing my top off I looked at my return pump and saw the clamp and realized "I have metal in my tank...and it looks like it is rusting". So I immediatly started to panic, turned off my pump and went to work. After an hour of frusteration, see my pump was very difficult to get into that chamber, I finally got the clamp out.

I haven't noticed any issues with my zoa's. My Duncan's were a little smaller then they were the day before but I was also moving stuff in my tank. Outside of that I did notice my milli wasn't doing super well and one of my small monti caps was a little white.

Question now is do I need to do water changes? Is there anything else I need to do?

Re: What to do if you have metal in your tank\sump?

those special filters for one. like the ones you were using before that will change color based on what is in the water maybe?

oh right....polyfiber....now where did i find that?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

some metals wont effect your aquarium at all. this might make you feel better, in the old school days we used the auto radiator hose clamps, metal ones. in sumps, on hose returns, then we went to the plastic ones that just click together. run some carbon, poly filter like andy suggested, or even some chemi pure. if the poly turns real black then you know it was pretty toxic, but rust is everywhere on reefs, only toxic when it reaches a certain point. if your tank has been fine thus far then dont stress. listen to some heavy metal and bang your head.

some metals wont effect your aquarium at all. this might make you feel better' date=' in the old school days we used the auto radiator hose clamps, metal ones. in sumps, on hose returns, then we went to the plastic ones that just click together. run some carbon, poly filter like andy suggested, or even some chemi pure. if the poly turns real black then you know it was pretty toxic, but rust is everywhere on reefs, only toxic when it reaches a certain point. if your tank has been fine thus far then dont stress. listen to some heavy metal and bang your head.[/quote']

Post of the day!(clap)

i am going to do a 25 percent water change today just in case and order the filter pads. i am also going to replace my carbon and purigen

Sent

25% WC is overkill

you think so? i have a couple pics of the clamp....only about a quarter of it was rusty what do you think i should do?

Most of the mettal hose clamps are stainless so it aint that bad. Just do your water change on a regular bassis. But really as stated earlyer, if it aint broke dont fix it. You have removed the potential hazard, do a small water change and spend the $ on a frag insted of filter media that ya dont need.

Most of the mettal hose clamps are stainless so it aint that bad. Just do your water change on a regular bassis. But really as stated earlyer, if it aint broke dont fix it. You have removed the potential hazard, do a small water change and spend the $ on a frag insted of filter media that ya dont need.

you migjt ne right..i will post the pic shortly