Ca & dKH Questions

Bitricker

So I'm trying my hand at a couple of sps and I was wondering what you guys keep you levels at. Ca seems pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure why folks keep their dKH higher than would be found in the sea. Can someone enlighten me? It is my understanding that in the sea dKH is around 7, but it is recommended to be between 8 and 12 in an aquarium.

Also what products do you guys use to maintain your levels? Right now I am using some ESV 2-part that I got w/ a tank I purchased. I'm fairly poor, so I'd love to hear about solutions that are a good balance of cheap and reliable. I certainly don't want to be killing things so reliable and safe trumps cheap.

Thanks,

Tony

Edit:

my current levels are...

Ca 375 (have been slowly bringing it up)

dKH 8ish (has been fairly stable from the get go, tho it was starting to drop off)

PH 8.2 (between 7.8-8.0 in the AM)

Ammonia/Nitrates/Phosphates 0

Hey Tony, I have a Ca reactor that I use to maintain my Ca and Kh. On my tank I like the KH at around 11-12 and Ca 450-500.

My reactor/controller keeps things steady presently KH 10.8 and Ca 420-using salifert kits.

This was all dialed in by using my "old" PH controller that ran the solenoid on the Co2-So I cant help with the 2 part thing.

I bought a new controller and will sell the PH controller-and not that I'm plugging for it-but that unit used with a Ca reactor, it was "set it and forget it"-It kept things rock solid steady no swings-

Controllers rock!! But they are extra cash to-tons of folks use the 2-part but I got a deal on the controller 125.00 vs 200.00.

Shooting for a KH around 10 should be great and Ca 450-IMO

I'm also not sure about how this all balances with PH? I understand that it can drastically change the PH so I've been watching it closely... I'm going to be leaving for about 2 weeks in July to get married so I need to understand all of this well enough to write up directions for the house sitter.

Lookin

Hey Tony, I have a Ca reactor that I use to maintain my Ca and Kh. On my tank I like the KH at around 11-12 and Ca 450-500.

My reactor/controller keeps things steady presently KH 10.8 and Ca 420-using salifert kits.

This was all dialed in by using my "old" PH controller that ran the solenoid on the Co2-So I cant help with the 2 part thing.

I bought a new controller and will sell the PH controller-and not that I'm plugging for it-but that unit used with a Ca reactor, it was "set it and forget it"-It kept things rock solid steady no swings-

Controllers rock!! But they are extra cash to-tons of folks use the 2-part but I got a deal on the controller 125.00 vs 200.00.

Shooting for a KH around 10 should be great and Ca 450-IMO

Hey Im looking for a PH controller if your selling your old one(plotting)

Im waiting for one so I can hook my Ca React to my new 75G.

Sorry I cut in here.. Im just sayin

ha I already PMed...mess w/ me will ya. lol, I may not be able to talk the finace into another purchase tho, you may be in luck...

oops this was supposed to be an edit of the last post

No Worries!!!(enforcer),, ReefJunkie, if Bitricker doesnt, will you PM me a price so we can talk....

Your quick Bitricker,,,, I'll give ya that(laugh)

nsw is the goal or aim point nowadays. used to be 10-14 back in the day. calcium any where from 380- to just under 500, 500 being the point for supersaturation. salts have certainly gotten better, we would run dkh higher back in the day because we were less aware of how minor elements broke down or were consumed in aquaria water, it was better to keep a higher dkh being that ph was less likely to fall out if you skipped a couple water changes. now we understand magnesium effects the balance within ph and dkh. if your magnesium levels are around 1350 then nsw level is excellent. i dose 2 part with magnesium and other additives and my dkh is steady at 8 along with my calcium at 420-430. corals grow fast, colorful, and healthy. if i skip a water change its not a problem but typically i dont. also you my want to contact a store to have them maintenance your tank say once a week for an hour to keep stress levels in check! hahaha

i stress every time i leave mine for a week. dang!