What do these quote's from what appears to be a forgotten document....

CA2OR

What does this mean to you?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness"

"Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

"it is the right of the people, it is their duty, to throw off such Government and to provide new guards for their future security…."(scratch)

Taken from the Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

I did alter this....change one word "people" in the last quote

Un-altered it reads:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

If any mod's deem this inappropriate feel free to close and delete this thread.

Excellent, I love quotations! Here are some I particularly appreciate:

"Simple rules foster complex behavior and deep thinking in people. On the other hand, complex rules tend to foster simple behavior and shallow thinking."

-- Unknown

"Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity."

—Aldous Huxley

"There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent.

If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism,'"

-- Barry Goldwater, Congressional Record, September 16, 1981.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

-- Mahatma Gandhi

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men

stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-- George Orwell

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, designa building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

--Robert Heinlein

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you

do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you

will understand why I dismiss yours."

--Stephen F. Roberts

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.

--Spock, Star Trek (Amok Time)

A man said to the universe:

"Sir I exist!"

"However," replied the universe,

"The fact has not created in me

A sense of obligation."

-- Stephen Crane

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism

by those who have not got it"

-- George Bernard Shaw.

"Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be."

-- Kurt Vonnegut

"Look for the ridiculous in everything and you will find it"

-- Jules Renard

"Whomever goes to fight monsters should take care not to become a monster himself. And when you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back into you."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

"World War III will be a guerilla information war, with no division between military and civilian participation"

-- Marshall McLuhan

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very very best he is a

sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at is worst he is unspeakable,

unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm. Yet he

blandly and in all sincerity calls himself the noblest work of God."

-- Mark Twain, "Letters from the Earth"

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart,"

-- H. L. Mencken.

"A mere friend will agree with you, but a real friend will argue."

--Russian proverb

"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire"

-- Sir Winston Churchill

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid one day, lying in the hospital dying of nothing"

-- Red Foxx

"A good listener is usually thinking about something else"

-- Kin Hubbard

• 3 weeks later...

andy, your war quote reminded me how much i like and believe this quote:

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” ...

and maybe its not a quote, maybe its considered more of a poem, but ever since i saw it at the end of fallout 2, i fell in love with it (its taken from a poem called the tyger):

"when the stars threw down their spears and water'd heaven with their tears, did he smile his work to see? did he who made the lamb, make thee?"

andy, your war quote reminded me how much i like and believe this quote:

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” ...

and maybe its not a quote, maybe its considered more of a poem, but ever since i saw it at the end of fallout 2, i fell in love with it (its taken from a poem called the tyger):

"when the stars threw down their spears and water'd heaven with their tears, did he smile his work to see? did he who made the lamb, make thee?"

I think that's one of Blake's, more well known for his "Tiger, Tiger burning bright" poem. I liked the variant of that one done in the 80s for Spiderman. :D

It's funny, I took a quiz and Neitzcheism is pretty close to the opposite of my own philosophical inclinations, but I do so love his quotes:

-A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

-Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

-Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.

-In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.

-In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

-It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.

-No one lies so boldly as the man who is indignant.

-Plato was a bore.

-Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day.

-Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself. (my personal favorite)

-The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.

-The most common lie is that which one lies to himself; lying to others is relatively an exception.

Here's one that a lot of politicians need to have tattooed onto their eyelids:

-There are horrible people who, instead of solving a problem, tangle it up and make it harder to solve for anyone who wants to deal with it. Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.

-There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

-We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us.

-What does not destroy me, makes me stronger

-Without music, life would be a mistake.

-You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.