tank wont stop slurping sond

salty419

I have a 125 gallon reef ready tank dual over flow in the rear.Just took tank a part to put a biger sump under it put it back togther now it wont stop the slulrping.The water level on the right side is were the problem i can watch it fill up then dump didnt do this before any ideas?

It's very similar to what happens when you don't adjust your Duraso standpipe correctly. You'll get this "flushing" kind of noise like your flushing your toilet. The water will rise up and then "flush" and it'll keep repeating itself until you allow more air to get in. This could be caused by the bend in the tube.

And the only thing you changed from before when it was working just fine is a larger sump?

How long had it been running fine before the change.

Make sure there are no obstructions (like the bend you found) in the down tube and return.

Do you have a gate or ball valve on the return or down tube? It sounds like the pump is returning water faster than it is being dumped into the sump, but that cant be, all you did was increase the size of your sump-correct?

It sounds like the water is creating a suction perhaps due to an increased elevation of the tank to the sump??? Is the return water returning directly underneath the water or out to some open air before splashing into the sump water??? If it's the first, I would suggest drilling some holes into the pipe to break the vacuum action or bring the return water area to above the water to break the suction action

The water level is the same as my old sump and the old pump never did it intill the was super low.The water returns threw the bottom of the tank with the pump sumerged and the drain hoses are not in the water.Sump is in the same location so im not sure thanks for all the help

here's a couple of thoughts for you and have worked for me. Search for Durso stand pipe. Many have used it to reduce the slurpin effect. You can also use a valve on your drain line to control the water drain rate. I'm currenty using a valve to stop wate flow noise, but you have to be very careful with the valve method as this can also work against you. The valve have to be adjusted to match the incoming flow rate or you will have a flood. I would try the durso method first.