Water Not Quite Crystal Clear

jsw

I previously used Brightwell salt, B-ionic two part and Brightwell carbon. Recently, I switched to D&D salt, BRS two-part and ROX carbon.

Unfortunately, my tank doesn't seem as clear as it used too. It's not that it's cloudy now, but I can tell the water is there. Before you couldn't even tell there was water. It's been like this for 3 or 4 days. I let the salt mix for over 24 hrs. The BRS two-part is clear in the containers. And the carbon is just carbon.

The panes are clean so I know it's something with the water. All livestock seems healthy. Anyone see these issues with the new products I'm using? Any suggestions?

I used to use Kent with no problems. I will end up buying it again once I buy my own salt. I also like Reef Crystals, I usually alternate between the two. Right now I'm being supplied with seachem marine salt and I don't like it, I've had to buffer it to get the KH up to usable parameters but hey it's been free so I cant complain.

Why did you switch from Brightwell salt' date=' if you mind me asking?[/quote']

I actually didn't have a really good reason to switch. Basically, I couldn't decide between Brightwell and D&D so I gave them both a try. It seems like the D&D mixed up to about the same parameters that I try to keep the tank at. The Brightwell seemed a little low on the ca (or I'm a bad tester). I tested at ca 380 alk 8 mg 1300 or so on Elos kits. It was really easy to bump it up though. I thought it was a really good salt.

The corals seemed to respond about the same to both. One plus for the Brightwell is that I didn't have to filter sock the water to get it completely clear and it was cheaper. I think I'm going to try the Brightwell another shot here in a few water changes to make my final decision.

I feel like my tank is still going through new tank changes, so it's probably not the best time to be choosing which one is best right now.

I see...

Low calcium is fine with me...its easy it bump them up. What Im really looking for is a salt that doesn't have high alk. 8 is perfect.

I just picked a bucket of Brightwell up this morning from Bob. Im going to start my new tank with it.

I think you're going to like it. I was mixing it 10 gallons at a time. It required a pretty powerful powerhead to get it completely dissolved. I had a weak maxijet 900 mixing it the first time and it still had a bit of a slight non-dissolved look to it after 24 hrs. I put it in the tank anyway and there was no negative reaction. It cleared shortly after. I used something a bit bigger the next time and that did the trick.

I've always wanted to try the Tunze reef salt but can't justify the price...

jsw, gald you got that cleared up, hahaha. always something i swear.......i have used and had most all brands of salt vary with particulate and claims of purity, you know the marketing hype. did you peep this new product? i was thinking about giving it a try.......http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/08/royal-nature-evaporated-seawater-aquarium-salt/

hey, if your using some filter pad now, find some polyfilter all white if you can. it will kinda change different colors if you have small amounts of untestible chemicals, metals, phosphates that can get in an aquarium and can also be a detector for r.o. servicing as well... nick at rose city has some lg packs of it for less than 10 bones. if you use a sock you can cut it into small shapes and drop it into the sock. whenever you do a sock switch check the color and you will find if anything funny is getting by the r.o system..... we may never detect this stuff with a test kit.i think this aids in give me good colors and can also remove those super difficult minor elements that carbon and gfo dont. p.m. me sometime.