New to the Tanks for Teachers Program

Ms.K

Hello everyone!!!!

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I teach middle school in Portland Public and have been accepted to the tanks for teachers program. I look forward to such a great opportunity to share with my students, and know that all those in the forum world will help to support me while we go through the setting up process.

Once things start to get rolling, I will be more than happy to post any pictures or lessons!!!

Guest cataphonic

Welcome Ms K.

I just recently joined the tanks for teachers myself.

We have a tank that was donated by a friend of the school about a year ago, but now that we're in this program I'm finally getting the help and advice that's really helping things flourish. Look forward to hearing how you're tank goes and what kinds of lesson plans you come up with.

We're working on getting the tank stable for coral propagation at the moment.

- Cat

Welcome. Do you need live rock for your tank? I can give a couple of pieces of the concrete rock that I make. It should not be the only rock in your tank, but it is good for a little bit of the base. You can also come get some starter coral when your tank is all set up and cycled. I have some zoanthids, xenia, etc. that others gave me to hold for the TFT tanks.

dsoz

Ms. K doesn't have a tank yet. I'm willing to put a little money forth, but we are both living on a single 1st year teachers salary while I finish school. I have a couple of clowns and a bit of live rock from my sump that I'll move over there when we find her one. Her classroom isn't terribly large so some sort of smallish cube would probably be best if someone has something they want to donate or sell to me cheap so I can. I know someone has something in their garage, I know I did until I moved but they were large for her classroom.

I know what that first year salary looks like. :( When I first started (at a private school) me and my wife and two kids qualified for food stamps on the salary that I earned. I was bringing home less than $1000 a month. It wasn't until my third year that I started bringing home more than $1000/month. To add insult to injury, my family did not have health care. I was covered, but to insure the family would cost an extra $300 a month. That was almost 1/2 of what I brought home!!!

Is the club going to buy a tank for her since she became a TFT member? I hope so. Middle school teachers need something just for being brave enough to put up with those bags of hormones!!!

When she does get a tank set up send me a PM and I'll hook her up with some rock. :)

dsoz

were doing a little better than that since we don't have any kids yet, but anything extra we can scrape up is being set aside for the wedding. I did at least become a paying member to support the TFT program. Honestly we wouldn't even have our own tank if the money for it hadn't been gifted to us, but hey when you love something you make it happen. Teaching falls into that category as well as anything ever could, no one would do it otherwise.

ms k, ive got a 155 bowfront with a shattered center brace i could donate LOL but your sig other(bitricker) has to come get it LOL

im kidding ont hat one lol

but, i'll try and talk my gf into letting me donate my 20 long once we get the new tank up and running, no guarantees, but, ill see what i can do

Welcome to PNWMAS Ms.K,

We are ordering a new 24 Gallon Aquapod for your classroom! We have found this setup to be large enough for stability, yet small enough for easy transportation home for the Summer, and back to school in the Fall. We will also be providing the basic necessary supplies. PNWMAS is looking forward to working with you in the TFT Program.

Rock Donations Needed!

Thanks everyone. It is my understanding that the program is helping me with the tank set-up' date=' and once that happens I will start reaching out for additional donations and helpful advice.[/quote']

While we are waiting for the tank and supplies that have been ordered to arrive, does anyone have some cured baserock/liverock/sand to donate?

The usual recommendation is a pound of rock per gallon.

I'm sure we can come up with enough rock to have your tank up and running very soon after it arrives!:D

I have some but it needs to be cycled. I just got it from Reefcam. Do not have any sand that is new. I have old stuff but I don't feel good about donating it. Smells horrible and I was planning on using it for frag plugs. Let me know when you want the LR. I will cure it while I am waiting to hear from you.