2x400 wt Hamilton Bulbs... should I switch?

puntific

I'm running a 100 gal tank that's 20 inches from water level to sand bed. The lights are 9 inches from the water. I've got a mixture of SPS, LPS, Zoas and Rics, as well as a RBTA and some other softies...

I currently run 400 wt Hamiltons at 20k temp. They're kinda inexpensive bulbs. The question is: would running different bulbs be better for me? Could I switch bulbs without switching my ballast? Also, how do you know if your ballast is still good?

Thanks,

puntific

400wt HQI PFO way a ton. if not hqu, don't run radium's I'm running radium's(20k) on electronic 400wt sunlight supply ballasts. I'm probably going back to 15K XM bulbs. I really like them from several i've used. Just don't buy cheep bulbs. Remember, light IS food.

If you want to run Radium 400W, you will need either a electronic, HQI, or a pulse-start cap and coil. The 400W Radium is not designed for a HQI, where the 250 is. Some like to run 400 HQI and get a crisp white light, but the life of the bulb goes down by almost 50%.

You can open up the ballast and look at the parts inside. That will give you the answer as to what you have. Probe-start ballast will not fire the Radium. Another possibility would be to get your hands on a old bulb that someone took out and see if your ballast fires the bulb.