Kinda stumped and need some input regarding the next GOC

The only thing about having people vote for a picture is that many times results tend not to be totally objective, as in real judging for actual growth.

Would people tend to vote for a picture of a relatively plain $25 zoa colony with more growth, over a spectacularly colored $150 colony with less growth? Be honest now.

Sorry, if I am not totally familiar with the judging standards of the GOC. Are all in competition fragged from the same original colony?

they would all be the same coral so it would be on visable growth and i think the final entry would need the before and after pic to see how your frag did

Yeah - I think the scale is taking it a bit far - and you have to worry about how much water gets on the scale, etc. I think you can do a subjective judging. The GOC committee can pick the top 5 and all participants can vote.

I do think it would be fun to branch out from zoos.

I have lots of scales in my science classroom if the top five contenders wanted to meet and weigh out there frags. They could meet at a LFS in Portland or Salem. Just a thought. Although zoos are still the simplest and easiest to judge. (and the coolest!!!!)

Th original plan was to keep a 3 month grow out going and add a 6 month grow out in with something like a sps/lps. This way everyone can still compete no matter what lighting you have. The thought for the sps was it would be a smaller competition geared a little more toward growth, color, and maybe growth pattern. This makes it a little more advanced then just the zoa grow out. I'll give you an example...

If we used a milli we would like to get a rough estimate of people who would be interested in competing at a set price range. May be more like $15/$20 for the frag so we could afford to still get something that wasn't totally run of the mill. We would use a colony with numerous branches so we could frag them into 1" or 2" or whatever was equal for all. Then start the growth as we normally do. Now prizes would depend on amount of entries but the idea was this. Have a 1-3 or 1-5 depending on contestants, plus have a best overall color voted by all the contestants, and a best overall growth shape also voted on by all contestants. Then we would still probably draw a couple randoms for anyone left that still has a living coral by the end too. I know I for one have had some corals grow slower but take on a really nice shape, and others that are like weeds but look all strung out and misshapen. The scales are a good thought but we are having to hard of a time just getting people to post picture updates as it is. I don't think it would pan out to get everyone's scaled.

As I said earlier, the sps would most likely be a 6 month grow out to be able to adjust things for the coral and to really let the winners show through since sps tends to be less obvious of growth compared to the zoa's.

I was thinking of throwing together a little measuring rack for each person also. Something made from eggcrate, 2 walls and a bottom with a cheap plastic ruler glued in the corner. Very simple, cheap, and effective. The frag would just need to sit on it for the pictures then it could be taken back out of the tank.

What do ya think?

Jmanrow, yes all the competition pieces that are distributed are from the same colony and should remain as such.

The problem I have with allowing people to vote for the winner is sometimes they become popularity contests....people vote for their friends type thing.

Jmanrow, yes all the competition pieces that are distributed are from the same colony and should remain as such.

The problem I have with allowing people to vote for the winner is sometimes they become popularity contests....people vote for their friends type thing.

I know the contest needs to be fun, but voting that way defeats the whole purpose on the GOC, IMO.

I like Roger's idea of having the top contenders bring their frag to a centralized location to be weighed. For that to work, each piece will need to be the exact same amount of grams on day #1 of the competition, which could be tricky.

One other way to go would be an LPS like a branching frogspawn, hammer, etc. Over 6 months, most folks should see multiple heads of growth - something similar to a polyp count?

I like Roger's idea of having the top contenders bring their frag to a centralized location to be weighed. For that to work' date=' each piece will need to be the exact same amount of grams on day #1 of the competition, which could be tricky. QUOTE']

Or maybe instead of everyone's weighing the same, the organizer (Eric) or whomever could weigh each piece before distribution and have a chart that says what each original weight was. Then at the end if they needed to be weighed to determine the winner you could have a begin and end weight, and calculate the difference. Just a thought? (scratch)

That would be OK if they are all very close, but a larger starting piece will, theoretically, have an advantage. If one person starts with a 5 gram piece and another starts with a 7 gram piece and they both grow 100% in 6 months, you wind up with a 10 gram piece and a 14 gram piece. Even though they both grew 100% of the starting weight, the 7 gram piece would win by a large margin (2 grams).

Does that make sense? (scratch)

That would be OK if they are all very close, but a larger starting piece will, theoretically, have an advantage. If one person starts with a 5 gram piece and another starts with a 7 gram piece and they both grow 100% in 6 months, you wind up with a 10 gram piece and a 14 gram piece. Even though they both grew 100% of the starting weight, the 7 gram piece would win by a large margin (2 grams).

Does that make sense? (scratch)

Makes perfect sense to me. You're right, this is definitely a bit tricky.