Kinda stumped and need some input regarding the next GOC

So we have found ourselves a bit of a roadblock here. The GOC's have from the beginning been designed to provide an educational experience through a competition. We intended on using more than zoanthids for our actual competition pieces so we could get better ideas of how to grow all different types of corals. With the end of the current competition approaching we have to figure out what we are going to use for the next one. I figured since we couldn't figure this out....maybe it was time to get some input from everyone else who is involved as your voices are really the ones to be heard.

So here is where we are at.....What other corals could we use?

I mean we have considered things such as Birdsnest, Acro's, Monti's, Chalices, War Corals, Duncan's, acan's, ricordia....well you get the idea....but at the same time we don't want to use things like xenia or kenya tree's and put a bunch of unwanted (censored) it your systems. In addition to this we have people who don't play because of what we are using so we want this to be something everyone can enjoy and learn from.

Anyway we always get stuck on the subject of how to determine growth or a winner. How do we say that the guy who grows one 3 inch stalk should win over the guy who grew 3 one inch stalks....or vise versa? This is why we have always stuck with zoa's so far and even here we have some problems....what if we are trying to determine a winner and one guy has 10 polyps with 5 babies that aren't open but someone else has 11 polpys total.....I mean it was agreed that unopened polyps aren't counted....but that doesn't seem right.

Another problem we encounter is things like Monti's....what are we supposed to do say whoever has the biggest piece at the end of "x" amount of time wins? What if one guy has 3 inch in diameter plate and someone else has a 4 inch long but only half inch wide strip....who wins? Do we have a drag race to a determined amount.

Lastly, and I am sure there will be more in the posts to come, corals like Ricordia, although they grow heads like zoa's which make the counting or winner determination easier there is another problem at hand here....what the GOC is not is a fraging competition. Ricordia's and mushrooms can be cut to force splitting allowing for a larger polyp count. Not everyone does this so unless we specify this or have a seperate competition for making the most frags in a determined amount of time (this was one of my idea's for another game) (whistle)....then we can't use corals like this. After all of the thought I have given this I still pretty much stand by zoanthids or paly's or whatever. It is the easiest to judge.

Well now you know where we have been stuck

So what do you guys think? What should the next grow out competition piece be? I will start a poll after I get some feedback from you guys so we can make a decision.

I say we do an SPS of some sort. It would be fun. I think that some kind of milli would be good. I think that the winner should be determined by polyp count, just like the current competition. Good luck counting all the polyps on a milli, lol. Honestly though, we should just use a similar method to how they score antlers on an elk or deer. Total inches. That means the person that has 3 branches at 1" each has the same score as the person that has a single 3" branch. For this to work we need to make sure each person has a single brach, with no forks in it, otherwise they would have an advantage, and trust me, one split is a huge advantage.

Oh, BTW, Im back. But my GOC piece isnt doing so hot. It was upside down in one of my acans, who knows for how long. The person watching my tank didn't notice it. No big deal. I have 5-ish heads (all babies and buds are gone) and we will see if they pull through.

That's a good point, the scale I use just measures down to 1 gram and that's probably not precise enough.

EDIT: I just checked gramscales.com, there are lots of choices for digital scales that measure to .1g for around $20. Might be able to do a group buy for even less...

Beginning the GOC with zoas was a very good idea Eric. It should be expanded to not only sps, but also lps. There is probably nothing wrong with having an occasional GOC of soft corals.

Eventually, propagation and having GOC of other inverts and fish could be done.

we could use encrusting sps and measure by total square inches, although that might mean using some math that I personally haven't used since high school...for that matter we could measure any sps growth by square inches. If you take the diameter of the branch and multiply by the length you would get the total area of the coral right? LPS could be done by polyp count, just like zoos.

Let's just call it a gentleman's bet and not judge who wins, let it be as you said an educational thing where those who haven't tried SPS can. Don't weigh anything, have a vote at the end for all contestants for the winner then all other prizes are out of a hat drawing.

Let's just call it a gentleman's bet and not judge who wins' date=' let it be as you said an educational thing where those who haven't tried SPS can. Don't weigh anything, have a vote at the end for all contestants for the winner then all other prizes are out of a hat drawing.[/quote']

Reef, I think you are on to something here. Perhaps we could change the winners status (ie: shark, whale) to something that denotes he won the competition - this would act as 'bragging rights'. At the end of the next competition he would lose his title (unless he/she won again).

thoughts?

The only thing about having people vote for a picture is that many times results tend not to be totally objective, as in real judging for actual growth.

Would people tend to vote for a picture of a relatively plain $25 zoa colony with more growth, over a spectacularly colored $150 colony with less growth? Be honest now.

Sorry, if I am not totally familiar with the judging standards of the GOC. Are all in competition fragged from the same original colony?