howdy from rainier

culp686

hello. just starting out with salt water. i've been in fresh water for about 2 years now. mostly african cichlids. i have around 9 or 10 breeders that i have been selling the fry for about a year now. i picked up a nice 10 or 12g tank from a lady that i was planning on turning into a fresh water planted tank. after i bought the tank from her, she asked me if i wanted another one. i said sure,the more the merrier. it turned out to be a 12g eclipse salt tank. she said she didn't want to mess with it any more so she sold it to me for $14.oo. then she told me that it had been up and running for 6 years. i now have a 30g tank that i put together myself. so at this moment in time (could change by tomorrow) i have a 12g and a 30g salt tank, and 16 fresh water tanks ranging from a 150g show tank, down to a 5g fry tank. well, thats a little about me. there is a lot more to the story, but thats a good start. oh, and i'm getting ready to set up either a 75g or 55g salt tank in the near future.

Let me know when you get your reef tank setup - I'd like to toss a few frags your way to get you started.

sounds great. thank you very much. i'm just starting to get my feet wet with a 12g eclipse and a 30g with a t5 fixture running a 21w 10k and a 21w actinic. it has, what i was told, a tree coral on a piece of live rock, a few small feather dusters, hermits, snails, some green macro algae, as i was told, and a white sponge looking thing that looks like a blob on one of the rocks. i'm pretty sure i'm running way to low on the lighting at the moment, but when the funds pick up a little, i will get my 55 or 75(haven't decided yet) up and running and use the light i picked up from movinfast.

well the original plan was to use one of those double 55 stands and have a 55 tank and a 50 sump. these are all things i already have or can build. i think i can stay with the idea by modifing the stand to hold a 75. thats my problem, i'm ALWAYS in the design mode. until i get it together, i will redesign it a thousand times.

i think it is just a short 55. it looks to be the same width as the 55 i have sitting next to it. i figured i would use it because it is pretty scratched up and it was free. i built a sump for my 150g malawi out of an old 26g (36"long) and it works pretty darn good for that. i have a refugium in the middle for amano shrimp, a bristlenose pleco, and a few guppies that i breed for food. that was my practice run. i think there is a blurry pic of it in the pics i put in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i finally have pics of my first try at a brand new saltwater tank. this wasn't a previously owned tank. it was a tank i had laying around and i thought i would throw some parts and pieces together to see what i could come up with. how did i do?picture.php?albumid=108&pictureid=682[/img][/img]