Back to work!! On a martini????????

nwcoralfarm

That's right, I am rejoining the workforce as of this last week, woohoo and there is a guy willing to pay me the big bucks to work on a Martini.

My friend over at C.W.I just hired me to do a few different jobs but the main one is helping to rebuild a 35 foot cigarette boat called the Dry Martini. This boat has seen it's share of races in the 70's, 80's and 90's but the restoration done on the boat before it's sale has proven to be subpar. So we are taking the boat all the way from new bulkheads though out the boat to new motors, new paint, new outdrives etc, and it is all being done in the traditional Kiekhaefer parts and styling while keeping the essence of a vintage boat.

The Dry Martini will be in the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes Powerboat Race 2010 and driven by Mike Bontoft, my neighbor, and his teammates.

I am loving the job and glad to be back in the workforce, sorry if I have missed you at the shop, I will be around for the most part during the evenings and happy to make special requests.

She does about 115 so I am told. A total of 1200 horsies. As for the material we are mainly using a woven roving but I make none of the decisions and don't really know what exactly the materials are. My buddy Mike has been literally doing this his whole life so I have no reason to believe that he doesn't know exactly what he is doing.

She does about 115 so I am told. A total of 1200 horsies. As for the material we are mainly using a woven roving but I make none of the decisions and don't really know what exactly the materials are. My buddy Mike has been literally doing this his whole life so I have no reason to believe that he doesn't know exactly what he is doing.

Besides since the boat is a classic and getting restored, he's prob. using the same material its made of to keep the value up. 115 is VERY respect full!! If I were to win the lotto I would def. look into buying a cig boat!

Thanks guys, yeah I have to admit the first couple of days grinding on the glass I would wake up about 4-5 times a night with my face on fire. I would literally have to go and stick it in a sinkful of cold water, and I know all of the tricks to getting it out and keeping it that way I just wasn't being as careful the first few.

So as it turns out, carbon fiber is not stronger then fiberglass, only by weight so equal thicknesses and weights of both and the carbon would win but with the thickness it is, it's not at all stronger. It turns out that Carbon is also WAY WAY more expensive. Plus we are talking about a heavy boat to begin with so weight is something we will cut out through better engineering versus something like that.

I will post some more pics as we go, it really is amazing what a difference it has made structurally and aesthetically.

More horsepower helps everything!(clap)(clap)(clap)(laugh)

Absolutely!!! We found that the outdrives on the boat now are rated for 700 horse a piece. Mike found some used merc outdrives that are rated for 1000 horse a piece so that will give us a little room to play with. The engines on it were rated at 600 horse a piece but the compression of them required that they burned a much higher (race) quality gas, so I think we are going to decrease the compression a little as to allow us to run a cheaper, more accessible gas and we will make up for the horsepower in other areas.