Montis are dieing?!!!!!

ClayTheSavageFraser

Why would only my montis be dieing? they are all looking like they are doing a slow die out. Only my montis though everything else is happy?!! Im freaking out!! There is no sign of anything as far as a residue on them. They have spots starting to bleach? One of my nice colonies is almost gone? I am seeing signs on all, my pokerstar, superman, jedi mind trick, orange, purple, oh except my green it looks fine, sunset. Hmmmmmm....anybody have this happen?(scary)

Clay

if only your monti's are being effected I would guess monti eating nudi's. Take one or two of them out and dip and swirl them if you have nudis you should be able to find one.

I totally agree with the Nudi's being the cause since this same thing is currently happening to me. I got a bananna wrasse and it seems to be helping but the fish can't get in all the small crevices where the Nudi's hide. check out the underside of your monti caps and around the dying part of your encrusting monti's for a small nudi that looks like the one in the picture below.

If your monti's are dying fast than you might have a lot of nudi's. I had a single colony die before I found out what the problem was and it seems like i've been able to keep the numbers down with the wrasses. I also have a sixline and a melanurus that are both supposed to eat these nudi's too but of course it's dependent on each fish. I also use tweezers to remove nudi's from monti's I can remove from the tank. There are different kinds of dips you can do. check out the link below for more info. I haven't dipped any corals yet but if any of my monti's are still alive after I get back from vacation i'll be dipping them.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/eb/index.php

nudi1.jpg

if you can get one out that is effected, flip it over and look for eggs and nudi's. they'll usually hide well during the day. I had the issue once too. I solved it by an intensive cleaning session on all monti's then I got my little protector(melenarus wrasse). I have yet to see one in almost a year.

You should google "montipora eating nudibranchs" so you have a better idea what you are looking for. There is lots of info and pictures of the damage they can do. Good luck man.

0:Nitrates, nitrites ammonia 8.4:PH 585:CA 12: DKH

Impur!! Come on over let's see if you can see anything!!

Clay

Are they stable @ those levels?

That's pretty high. Have you tried maintaining them in the 450/10 range?

Either way, make sure to check your pump impellers often. When you run CA levels over 450 the magnets on the impellers will get caked with deposits, causing premature failure if not cleaned with vinegar regularly.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I found the problem!! My ph tester is bad!! I used a new one and my ph has been at 8.8!! Not 8.4 like it tests with the bad stuff!! Has anyone had this problem before? Now my acros and everything else is being effected!! I did a huge water change and have been trying to bring the ph down!! It's crazy!! It sucks!! I hope my corals come back!! Im so bummed!! I hate it!!

Clay

Im talkin about the solution not the probe. You know that red label chemical test kit. I have had the same bottle for a while and it was working fine and then over the past few weeks my montis started to die and now my frogspawn and bubble coral arent opening (which never happens) and my acros are losing there color, my lobo, and some chalice started to recede. I tested it after I got a whole new test kit. I traded for a whole system and it came with it. I tested it last night and it read 8.8 after the other stuff reads 8.4. So yeah.....:(