calling all computer experts

jgf86123

I used to build alot of AMD systems because it was cheaper for me and a higher profit margine.....but after a year or so I would start seeing all those AMD's again....so I switched over to Intel with well researched motherboard combinations...after that....sometimes it would be so long since their machines failed that their warranties would actually give up....and I gave 3 year warrentiess....2 years longer then the manufacturer would give.

I used to build alot of AMD systems because it was cheaper for me and a higher profit margine.....but after a year or so I would start seeing all those AMD's again....so I switched over to Intel with well researched motherboard combinations...after that....sometimes it would be so long since their machines failed that their warranties would actually give up....and I gave 3 year warrentiess....2 years longer then the manufacturer would give.

Well that's terribly generous of you. I think the part I hate most is when they bring it back and say that it is too slow for some reason. So you flip it on and find they have 200 processes running simultaneously. Not to mention that they have installed and uninstalled around 100 different programs.

Good lord, My fiances father who knows nothing about computers comes over the other day telling me all about how cookies are what cause you to get viruses and that all cookies are bad and to be avoided. I had talked to him for an hour trying to explain how it all worked but it didn't matter what I said cause he talked to a Best Buy employee, so he knew.

I love those anti virus programs, the ones that take more memory then Windows and all your other processes combined, ha ha, what a joke. Way to pray off of fears there N$%^#N.

Good lord' date=' My fiances father who knows nothing about computers comes over the other day telling me all about how cookies are what cause you to get viruses and that all cookies are bad and to be avoided...[/quote']

Even fresh peanut butter ones?(scratch)

Seriously that was my response most the time when people asked my that.rofl

I personally use NOD32 and am loving it. I am a former Symantec (Norton) user and will never return.(nono)

I just got done building a pretty sweet gaming rig if i do say so myself.

Antec Skeleton case

Gigabyte ga-ex58-ud3r

Intel i7-920

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HD

OCZ Gold 6Gig DDR3 1600

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 512MB GPU

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU

daa668ed.jpg

I'm not as cool as Eric with his laptop and SSD but it'll play the games i want to play with ease :D

You guys are such AMD haters!!! I had one intel and it went T!TS up and I never went back. I almost did this last time but I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money for the same thing when I have never had an issue with AMD. I will say you get what you pay for though so don't go buying something dirt cheap from AMD because it's not gonna last like it should. I actually put this one together at Eric's house so he can attest to how nice of a setup it is. Yea he cried his little eyes out because I got an AMD but no sweat off my back from it(laugh). Yea, I'm a trackball guy too. those silly mice are worthless to me. For FPS their is nothing faster then being able to turn 180 degrees in a 1/16th of a second. Takes up less room too.

I just totaled it up and I spend $1080 on mine so you could easily get under $1000 and have something that will crank out the games.(that's including the monitor also) I'm sure you really don't need things like a 700w power supply that lights up, a 1tb hd, a crossfire ready 1gb PCI express card or a 23.6" full HD 1080p monitor. I know most of that probably means nothing to you but maybe a little will.:D

The specs. this is all from Newegg.com

I was searching for combo's also, so I managed to get another $70 off of all this stuff from that.

$219.99---SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1gb 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail Item #: N82E16814102841

$84.99---APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Retail Item #: N82E16817148040

$79.99---Sunbeam UFO ACUF-HUVB UV Blue Clear Acrylic ATX Cube Computer Case - Retail Item #: N82E16811166042

$31.99---Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM Item #: N82E16827118032

$169.99---MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813130223

$179.99---ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail Item #: N82E16824236052

$215.00---AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail Item #: N82E16819103674

$96.99---OCZ Platinum 4gb (2 x 2gb) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P20004GK - Retail Item #: N82E16820227310

I also picked up a 7200rpm Western Digital 1tb HD from buy.com for $70

post-3173-141867751705_thumb.jpg

post-3173-141867751708_thumb.jpg

post-3173-141867751991_thumb.jpg

post-3173-141867751995_thumb.jpg

Brandon, you may note that I have not voiced my opinions here about Intel vs AMD. Personally I will only run Intel in my own systems and I did inform Mick about what choices I would make along with the reasons for doing so. At the same time though I've been doing this a long time (When I started building systems it wasn't unusual to find systems that were still using the 80386) so I know Intel is not the only game in town (Anyone remember Cyrix). If he is more comfortable with AMD then I see no reason he can't build up a system that uses AMD that will meet his needs. It's more important that he has a system he is comfortable with that will meet his needs than it is to convince him to use the same parts I would (My needs are not the same).

guys, i know a lot of you prefer intel over amd or vice versa, me personally, i have had nothing but bad luck over the years with intel computers, amd's, well, i cant seem to kill the buggers. i had one 10 years ago that i soaked with a water hose and after letting it dry outside, turned it on an it fired right up, so, i think ill stick with what i know for now LOL

thanks for all the insite guys, brandon(snowpunk im guessing) i like your build, impur, your case looks insane, i just dont think it will work lol. rick, thanks for all the help man, i know ive probably driven you nuts with ideas already LOL. you guys rock and i cant wait to get started on buying parts lol.

snow' date=' the only things i would change are the case and the ram, i want 6g min on the ram LOL bigger is better you know? :P[/quote']

Yea that is one thing I will be upgrading eventually. For now though it runs great. I did put in some beefy ram though, so what I lack in gigs I make up for in speed... For reference I get a ping of about 30 on a game based off counterstrike that the server is in Tacoma. with 30+ other people on that same server at any given time.

BTW if you are looking for a LCD monitor I may have one. That would save you a little too. It's been in a box in my office since I got this new one. It's a 19" sylvania LCD. I'll pull it back out and test it if you would be interested. It's an older model but when I took it down it still worked great. I think it was around $230 new(a while ago). I see them for about $195-$205 around the net now though. PM me if you are interested, if it checks out I can give you a price on it.

thanks brandon' date=' jess has her eyes on a 23" she's found, hell, if she had her way, she'd have a 50" computer monitor LOL[/quote']

I'm sure you saw my TV. It's basically a 50" monitor hooked up to a dedicated HTPC system. (Not too practical for everyday use for web browsing but it has killer resolution)

You guys are such AMD haters!!! I had one intel and it went T!TS up and I never went back. I almost did this last time but I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money for the same thing when I have never had an issue with AMD. I will say you get what you pay for though so don't go buying something dirt cheap from AMD because it's not gonna last like it should. I actually put this one together at Eric's house so he can attest to how nice of a setup it is. Yea he cried his little eyes out because I got an AMD but no sweat off my back from it(laugh). Yea' date=' I'm a trackball guy too. those silly mice are worthless to me. For FPS their is nothing faster then being able to turn 180 degrees in a 1/16th of a second. Takes up less room too.[/quote']

Anybody ever feel like just smacking someone?(scratch)

Those pic's look pretty good....but what is that in your case?(scratch)Kinda looks like mud....(scratch)....maybe feces....ohDOH!it's your AMD;)

guys' date=' i know a lot of you prefer intel over amd or vice versa, me personally, i have had nothing but bad luck over the years with intel computers, amd's, well, i cant seem to kill the buggers.[/quote']

Pull the CPU fan....works everytime(clap)

For reference I get a ping of about 30 on a game based off counterstrike that the server is in Tacoma. with 30+ other people on that same server at any given time.

30? I get a ping of 8 to 16 when I play CSS. Hmm....I wonder if there is something different in our systems(scratch).....;)

On a serious note....there isn't anything wrong with AMD overall....they just don't multitask like Intel's do, but for single functions like gaming or whatever they will smoke right along.

snow' date=' the only things i would change are the case and the ram, i want 6g min on the ram LOL bigger is better you know? :P[/quote']

If you are only going to have a 32bit OS there is no point in getting over 4 Gig's of RAM. That is just my opinion.