calling all computer experts

jgf86123

hey guys, im looking at building a new computer for my gf as an early bday present/late christmas present and i need some advice. i am generally speaking computer stupid, as long as one does what i want, im happy, i have no idea on how to fix jack crap on a comp.

she needs a gaming computer, our current desktop is a POS and she hates playing on my laptop. so, i need ideas for builds on a kickass gaming system, and hopefully the cost will be under a grand LOL. its gonna need a graphics card, processor, ram, and hd space, other than that, i have no idea what i will need.

thanks all

mick

I think he means beer. If you build it yourself you can get a great one for under a grand. I just did it. I even got a 24" HDMI 1080 Asus lcd monitor to go with it. Rick is close to you, he can get one going for you I bet. Fry's is better priced then most but it's still a rip compared to newegg.com

I think he means beer. If you build it yourself you can get a great one for under a grand. I just did it. I even got a 24" HDMI 1080 Asus lcd monitor to go with it. Rick is close to you' date=' he can get one going for you I bet. Fry's is better priced then most but it's still a rip compared to newegg.com[/quote']

Yes, but I have never seen a computer built in one. I strongly recommend a tower.

Newegg is for sure the cheapest and a great shopping experience. I just suggested Frye's because if you don't know what you are buying then they can lead you in the right direction. For the record Frye's is far from a ripoff, they have sales go on that beat Newegg all the time. They just aren't as cheap as Newegg most the time. You want a rip go to a local computer store, (sorry local computer stores).

No offense Rick but I really can't think of any reason why he would benefit from a short rack. A cheaper computer is of course an option' date=' it just depends on how nice you want it to be, especially with a gaming computer.[/quote']As Brandon mentioned the short rack mentioned was beer. I.E. If he wants to bring by a 12 pack (short rack of beer) I'll help him put it together. It isn't even really necessary but was more to let him know that I'm not really interested in charging him if he wants to do it himself but needs someone to walk him through it.

Newegg is for sure the cheapest and a great shopping experience. I just suggested Frye's because if you don't know what you are buying then they can lead you in the right direction. For the record Frye's is far from a ripoff' date=' they have sales go on that beat Newegg all the time. They just aren't as cheap as Newegg most the time. You want a rip go to a local computer store, (sorry local computer stores).[/quote']

lol... I thought you really didn't know what he was thinking. Fry's is the best retail store for sure. I have bought a few things there but I really like Neweggs RMA help the most. For someone that wants to try to build but has never before, Fry's would be the way to go so they can get some knowledge too.

hey guys, im getting quite a bit of help from rick, thanks man, i owe ya a 12 pack at least, what do you prefer? lol

for all the gamers out there, my gf is into hardcore FPS, im more of a RPG/Strategy guy, i want to get into dragon age origins, thats a big one, and id love a graphics card that will give me the best possible gaming experience when it comes to games like that.

for now, we're looking at these items, any gamers with experience in hardcore FPS's, please, feel free to chime in.

Processor: http://www.iguanamicro.com/amdphx49202q.html

Motherboard: looks im still needing one of these, preferably 64 bit, top of the line, able to hand a crap ton of ram, preferably 6+ gigs.

Video/Graphics: http://www.iguanamicro.com/sarahd1gbpci1.html

Memory-i want 6-10 gigs: http://www.enuinc.com/m-06g-133-k-k3d3.html

Hard Drive: Storage-http://www.frys.com/product/5478279?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG and Primary-http://www.frys.com/product/5864673?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Optical Drive: http://www.frys.com/product/6091588?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Case/Tower: http://www.iguanamicro.com/ansoiiimidto.html

any and all suggestions are fine by me, i want to get a great system set up so she can truly enjoy her games.

thanks guys

I've built more gaming machines than I care to acknowledge....what games are you looking to play? Just saying "FPS" and "RPG" dont help. Counterstrike Source is a very popular FPS and you can build a machine to play that for under $500 if you don't need monitor...that is my first question. Also, I would have to agree to some extent regarding the under $1k for a "good" gaming machine. I spent $5600 on my laptop to guarantee it was worthy of my expectations....and I have been more than satisfied with my purchase. IMO you either find a gamer like myself to build it, build your own if you are confident enough too, or do what I did and hit the roof. I build my own gaming desktops.....but not my laptop.

Just so you know....I will NOT engage in public debates over stuff like this. If you want my input pm me.

MHO....that CPU isn't worth it to me....I do not believe in AMD. Which would make the board a no go either.

Oh snap, no you didn't Eric, no AMD. Just kidding, thought I would take a shot at a little public debate with you.

Eric is right though, you do want a gamer to build your computer if you want anything serious. Graphics cards run from that's not bad too "what do you mean I need to refinance the house?" Especially if you are looking at matching up a few on an SLI.

With the tech they have now I would go with a quad core Pentium, I just built one up for my neighbor with the new Bloomfield processor, all I can say is WOW and I don't mean World of Warcraft. 6 gigs of ram is easy to do but with the processor, graphics card, a good power supply, memory, hard drive, dvd rom, etc, it will all add up quick.

A better idea of what games you actually play would help. I am assuming (no offense) that they are not too intense considering that you said you play them on your laptop with no prob.

OK....only engagement I will indulge in is this...AMD emulates Intel....at best....anybody wanna bring their AMD system over here for a 1on1 bring it. Warning....my laptop will take the "hole shot" and never look back....and I don't have 6G's of RAM...I do have 4 though. But I also have a secret weapon....to me it is a must for any "gamer" from here in. It's amazing what "no moving parts" can do when the topic of gaming or general operation come into play....

Quick note....if you play online you could consider a "Killer K1" NIC.

Again....please keep all of this with the understanding that this is just my opinion and what my experience has led me to believe....but "Fry's" and I have a bit of a misunderstanding....see by publiclly announcing that they carry both new and refurbished means that they don't have to tell you what is new and what was a refurb. So you might be paying new price for something that has broken before.

For those who say "what's the difference?" I will tell you....I have been building and servicing computers for over 15 years....and almost 100% of the time when I sent in a part for a particular failure point....when I got it back....that same exact failure point would fail again. Therefor if you buy a refurb....or something that broke and was fixed...chances are it's going to break again.

Yes Eric, I will give you that, they do a lot of the time emulate what Intel is doing. But honestly who can blame them and that is not to say that they don't have their share of great cpu's just that they have been a little behind in the times for a while.

The only problem that I have with Intel is that you are paying for the name, not uncommon in any field I know, but a crappy deal all the same. Bring your laptop over anytime and I will put it side by side with my desktop any day, (in a weight contest) I used to keep the best of the best running on my computer at all times and now I game on my xbox and do everything else from my desktop. I have been seeing just how long I can keep this thing running for and it has been a while, although I have upgraded quite a bit of it. Believe it or not I am still running an AGP card, it is arguably the best AGP card ever made but still an AGP all the same.

Again....please keep all of this with the understanding that this is just my opinion and what my experience has led me to believe....but "Fry's" and I have a bit of a misunderstanding....see by publiclly announcing that they carry both new and refurbished means that they don't have to tell you what is new and what was a refurb. So you might be paying new price for something that has broken before.

For those who say "what's the difference?" I will tell you....I have been building and servicing computers for over 15 years....and almost 100% of the time when I sent in a part for a particular failure point....when I got it back....that same exact failure point would fail again. Therefor if you buy a refurb....or something that broke and was fixed...chances are it's going to break again.

OHH oh man, if I could send them guys a gas bill for every time I have had to drive something back to Frye's from Castle Rock because it was defective I tell you I might just be able to put a down payment on a house.

OHH oh man' date=' if I could send them guys a gas bill for every time I have had to drive something back to Frye's from Castle Rock because it was defective[/quote']

Case and point....that is why I no longer associate with Fry's....unless it is RIGHT there and I need blank disks for something. I will just never buy an internal or external device from them.