New SaltWater Fan

CrazyInside

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, i've been doing freshwater for a few years now and was on gpas.org but i've now decided itk's time to try a saltwater setup! My name is Matt, 21 years old, work for Image Graphics in gresham.

My tank isn't set up yet but this is what I have so far.

29 gallong glass tank, matching stand/canopy

Protien Skimmer - http://www.saltysupply.com/Reef-Octo...F-p/oc6113.htm

Lighting -http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Aqualight_Dual_Lamp_High_Output_Fixture_24_Inch_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-Coralife-ES08600-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

Heater

Playsand from home depot

And the other normal stuff.

Still Need to buy

Hang on back filter

Live rock

SaltMix

Testing supplys

I spent a lot this year on Xmas so sadly to say this won't start getting setup tell jan. but it should be a lot a fun and i'm sure i'll be on here with my noob questions a lot! Lol :D

better start planning for the tank after that one too. If your here' date=' that is basically like admitting you have a problem to a bunch of drug dealers... We only fuel the addiction!!! Welcome(clap)[/quote']

haha yeah me and the woman were at saltwater fantaseas today and we were all ready talking about the cube tanks they have lol. That waterfall tank was a pretty cool one too. It's killing me to wait a whole month to start on my tank! Dang christmas and buying for others :( (shy)

Just toss the 29 under a bigger tank(like 180) and go bigger now. It will save you money. Test kits.... same price for either.....skimmer. Just a little more ,but you don't have to upgrade and have paid for 2. Return pump. External as your going to have the 29 drilled and glue baffles in yourself. Live rock has gotten really inexpensive. Far less tank parameter changes on a larger tank.

I'm just trying to save you money over all if you have the room.

Practically everyone that has had a smaller tank and has had the room goes bigger in less than a year.

And of course WELCOME NEW "TOAD" :)

Just toss the 29 under a bigger tank(like 180) and go bigger now. It will save you money. Test kits.... same price for either.....skimmer. Just a little more ,but you don't have to upgrade and have paid for 2. Return pump. External as your going to have the 29 drilled and glue baffles in yourself. Live rock has gotten really inexpensive. Far less tank parameter changes on a larger tank.

I'm just trying to save you money over all if you have the room.

Practically everyone that has had a smaller tank and has had the room goes bigger in less than a year.

And of course WELCOME NEW "TOAD" :)

CCR is spot on. When i bought my house I got a new 75g within a few weeks. I thought that was as big as I could go. (scratch) Turns out if you look long enough you can find all kinds of places to put a tank. With enough imagination and mind manipulation you can do some damage. I have a peninsula tank that is going to go up soon (think 180g):D. Do I NEED it? no. Must I have it? YEEESSS(clap) Does it fit in the space? yea, I guess so(laugh).

CCR is spot on. When i bought my house I got a new 75g within a few weeks. I thought that was as big as I could go. (scratch) Turns out if you look long enough you can find all kinds of places to put a tank. With enough imagination and mind manipulation you can do some damage. I have a peninsula tank that is going to go up soon (think 180g):D. Do I NEED it? no. Must I have it? YEEESSS(clap) Does it fit in the space? yea' date=' I guess so(laugh).[/quote']

I would love to go big like that, but seeing I'm only 21 and not a home owner I don't think my landlord would like a 200 gallon tank in his place lol. Plus seeing this will be my first saltwater setup I'm sure there will be lots of trial and error so i can't see myself spending a few thousand on a set up... just yet :). And on a final note I've all ready got the tank/stand/light/skimmer. But I'm sure I've got plenty of years to go big lol (rock2)

Turn around and run the other way while you still can! Saltwater is a dangerous addictive drug. It will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars and endless amounts of time on the internet, home improvement stores, and driving way to far to see what the other stores have. This may be your last chance!(daz)

Welcome ! what theyre saying is true...........just go big now. Heck a Yellow tang and a big live rock look great in a 150.

I agree with Mike youre in it fo thousands and thousands , try and get used and save thousands.

Here I found you a starter tank rght here http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15651

haha yeah nice "starter" tank lol

Coming from another 20 something that transferred from FW to SW a couple years ago, you're going to spend thousands on the smaller tank anyways. Its worth it, and I have a particular love for the nanos over the bigger tanks, so I'm not necessarily on the band wagon for go big. But don't kid yourself, SW is expensive in a small tank or a big one. That said, it is also extremely rewarding, entertaining, and fun. I LOVE my tank and spend hours staring at it. Set it up right the first time, and then enjoy it worry free for a long time.

Last bit of advice, load it with as much LR as you can, and wait a long time before adding fish or corals. I know that everyone says it, and you can get away with rushing the process in FW......but it makes life SO much easier in the long run if you wait a couple months before adding anything to the tank after the sand and rock is in. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

• 3 weeks later...
CCR is spot on. When i bought my house I got a new 75g within a few weeks. I thought that was as big as I could go. (scratch) Turns out if you look long enough you can find all kinds of places to put a tank. With enough imagination and mind manipulation you can do some damage. I have a peninsula tank that is going to go up soon (think 180g):D. Do I NEED it? no. Must I have it? YEEESSS(clap) Does it fit in the space? yea' date=' I guess so(laugh).[/quote']

SnowPunk, your to funny(laugh), and Correct!! My wife and I are looking at Homes to buy, and Besides a place for RV Parking the other must have is a place to set up a tank.... I know I will have a 180 + tank someday and I want to plumbe through the wall to the garage or build a shack off the back of the house for sump and Pump.....

You guys are right about the addiction!!(scary)

Welcome

SnowPunk, your to funny(laugh), and Correct!! My wife and I are looking at Homes to buy, and Besides a place for RV Parking the other must have is a place to set up a tank.... I know I will have a 180 + tank someday and I want to plumbe through the wall to the garage or build a shack off the back of the house for sump and Pump.....

You guys are right about the addiction!!(scary)

And Welcome!!! Happy to have Ya!!(plotting)