new tank pic

steveweast

Collect what? I thought we couldn't keep anything' date=' especially in Oregon. I'm assuming anything kept, like starfish and flounders won't survive in our warmer tanks, or am I wrong?. I know when I've been shore fishing with my 12 foot pole, I catch all kinds of small bottom dwellers, but don't know if I could keep any in my tank. When I can afford it, I'll go get certified and hopefully find some folks to dive with.[/quote']

Yes they would die in your warm water reef tank. Steve has a cold water system set up.

Steve lets plan for after thanksgiving then if you want to go collect I'll help out if you want to go just dive i would like to try the charter boat the badito.

I give you a shout when i get back.

Hopefully with some nice dive shots to brag about.

Sounds good Randy. I really don't need anything right now.....except... that this time of year there are baby Puget Sound king crabs. They're bright red about the size of a quarter....and I could use a few more stalks of kelp for my seahorses to hitch to...or maybe some more eel grass. Seiku will have all these things plus HUGE anemones that you'll like seeing....and it's easy diving even if the weather is bad.

Collect what? I thought we couldn't keep anything' date=' especially in Oregon. I'm assuming anything kept, like starfish and flounders won't survive in our warmer tanks, or am I wrong?. I know when I've been shore fishing with my 12 foot pole, I catch all kinds of small bottom dwellers, but don't know if I could keep any in my tank. When I can afford it, I'll go get certified and hopefully find some folks to dive with.[/quote']

With the proper Washington State shellfish, seaweed, and fishing license....you can collect anemones, oysters, clams, shrimp, kelp, small fish, mysis, starfish, etc (as long as you're not in a preserve and the collection is for personal use...no commercial).....just no game fish or dungeness crab unless they are in season. And like Randy said...I also have a cold water tank...temp 55 F.

That's them. When diving, I'll see them in groups of about a dozen. They really blend in with rocks even though they are about 18" in diameter when full grown and their claw could grab my arm. This time of year there are large amounts of the babies which are bright red and the size of a quarter.

• 2 months later...