Exploding bulbs!

snowpunk

In the last 5 days I have had 3 (se) bulbs break in half during the middle of the day some time. I thought the first one was just old. Then when the second one did it I thought maybe it was do to me not running the fans in the hood since it was colder. That let some condensation build up in the bulbs. Now I get home tonight and another one did the same thing. I just put this one in yesterday morning and ran the fans nonstop so condensation is not the issue either. The worst part is I think it fried most of the corals on that side that were up higher. The other side has never done this and the corals look fine over there. I think most of them are still alive but they are going to need a lot of recovery time to get back to normal.

I have a dual 400w PFO ballast. Is there something in there that could have gone out? I have a spare I can use but I need both eventually. Any other thoughts on what could be happening?

I did on one then thought about it and tried to clean it. The other two I didn't ever. I did just sit there and watch my surface water since I have a K4 that is breaking it a little. It sends up one drop hear and there every 3 or 4 minutes. I think this could have done it. I have some glass to go over the tank so I may put that back on to see if the water touches it. I have a few slightly used bulbs I can still burn through thankfully. Looking back now, that was a great buy. Ended up getting 10 lightly used bulbs for $20. saved my wallet this week!