R3's 20G Nano Setup Thread

R-3

I said I would start a thread when I get ready to do this so here it is. Ive got most everything already. Heres a equipment breakdown.

Tank- 20G AGA 24x13x16

Lights- 4x24W T-5 Retro

Flow- 2 MJ1200

Skimmer- PM HOT+1 w/MJ1200

I have all equipment bought just waiting on the skimmer to get here.

Im working on the stand right now. I was gonna be done but ran out of trim. Here are some pics of it. Keep in mind i still have to finish it but you can get a good idea. I will update tomorrow with final construction pics. Then its ready for stain.

IMG_0347.jpg

Heres one of the side. Still have to put a piece on the bottom, but thats the jist.

IMG_0348.jpg

Thats it for now, tune in tomorrow!! Later Ryan

I got home early today and finished the stand. Heres some pics.

IMG_0349.jpg

Little Closer

IMG_0350.jpg

Side

IMG_0351.jpg

This is actually only the second "woodworking" piece I have made. I'm techinically a framer not really a finish carpenter. Even though I help a gy out every once in a while with finish stuff. Its just something I enjoy. Just kinda getting the hang of it. Later Ryan

I'm techinically a framer not really a finish carpenter. Even though I help a gy out every once in a while with finish stuff.

Well, you did an outstanding job with your stand as far as I'm concerned. I agree with Mike. I can see some money-making potential in your future making stands, canopies or whatever else you are so inclined to give a go at!

Stacy

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the truth Randy! Thanks for the compliments. Anyway down to business.

Im finally ready to update this thread. Got all the pieces I need to get it going.

So the last coat of poly is drying as we speak. So that means im ready to start putting water in the tank tomorrow. I want a minimal cycle or none at all so Im thinking of just pulling some water out of my 75 + 30G sump kinda like a water change. Anyone done this before? I figure all I need is like 10-15 gallons and then I will just add 5 gallons of new saltwater to the mix. Sound good? It would be just like transferring to another right? Im just trying to get some ideas of the best way to do this. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Ill post some pics tomorrow when it is up and running. Later Ryan

Okay im all setup, somewhat! LOL! I need to add rock and aquascape but that can wait. Heres some pics.

Heres a full length pic of the tank and stand.

IMG_0420.jpg

Heres a pic of just the tank.

IMG_0422.jpg

Heres my Precision Marine HOT-1 Skimmer. Im still waiting for the microbubbles to slow down. PM says it could take a day or two. I just hooked up and already getting a little ittie bitty bit of gunk. Dont make fun of the wiring on the canopy. Its just temporary.

IMG_0421.jpg

I want a minimal cycle or none at all so Im thinking of just pulling some water out of my 75 + 30G sump kinda like a water change. Anyone done this before?
I did this with my nano. I think I did 50/50 freshly mixed and stolen from Jay's tank water. I also grabbed a bunch of rock from his tank for mine. I added a sand bed as well and seeded it with a cup from the fuge. I avoided the cycle for the most part. But I am dealing with some wicked algae issues right now. So I didn't completely avoid new-tank-disease. Frickin' algae!

Everything's looking good!

Stacy

UPDATE:

Transfer went well. Skimmer microbubbles gone (was my stupid faullt) I didnt have the valve adjusted right. It took like 5 secs and bubbles were gone.

I also went down to my LFS and dug through some of his used stuff. I always make fun of him for keeping this "junk" around but I take it all back. I got 2 MJ1200 (one missing cover), 1 MJ100, 1 MJ900, and a 100w heater for $20. Talk about score. I took them home let them soak in some vinegar and voila!! Vinegar is amazing. These pumps looked bad but worked at the shop so I knew I could get them cleaned up! They look brand new.

Also added some rock. I put a little zoo frag, digi frag and one of the RBTA babies (i had three from a split) in the tank. Looks good. I still need to change out two of the bulbs. The 6000k & Pure actinic are gone! Need to get two Actinic +. Anyway here is an updated pic. Later Ryan

IMG_0452.jpg