Next GOC To Be Announced

November will be the last GOC until PNWMAS resumes it at a time to be announced at a later date after the Christmas Party.

PNWMAS would like to thank Eric (CA2OR) and Brandon(snowpunk) for their hard work organizing the completion, and Grow Out Competition Sponsors for their generous donations.

Lastly, we want to thank everyone who participated. You are all winners!(rock2)

(scratch) I must have missed something. Can you please forward me anything that has been sent to Eric. I just talked with Eric and he didn't mention anything either. Is this at request of the entire board, because last I heard we had the go ahead. Are we in violation of anything in the forum's constitution? I am just a little in shock, I thought everyone agreed this was a win win for all involved? Please keep this thread open so we can discuss this further if people have questions, and I'm sure they will....thank you:)

I must have missed something as well. When did the GOC become a PNWMAS event?

it hasn't. The original idea from Eric and I(mostly Eric) was for it to be taken over once it was big enough though so it would ease the burden on Eric mostly and others who help out. It has yet to have any changes but we may have a few coming. Nothing that will affect the game I hope, but rest assured if something were to change, once it was finalized we would inform everyone of the changes to keep this as public knowledge.

I must have missed something as well. When did the GOC become a PNWMAS event?

I thought that since it is for PNWMAS members and I think they asked the board for permission that it was a PNWMAS event. Besides that I would think that the board would have the right to monitor all going's on on the site and adjust it as necessary. Not that I'm not confused about the reasoning for the temporary shut down of it, but who knows maybe the board has something up there sleeve that would be more beneficial to the site and all its sponsors.

I'd just like to say that I'd be incredibly sad if the GOC were discontinued. I think its extremely cool that we can quantitatively compare growth in our tanks' date=' not to mention that it's fun![/quote']

I'm truly glad to hear it. This was Eric's little brain child and I think it was a sheer stroke of genius. It has brought new sponsors in, countless new members, and I'm sure probably a few more paying members as well. I can't count the amount of new names I have seen show up since this game started. Not to mention it does exactly what this club is all about. Teaches people the best ways to care for the coral and the best ways to propagate it to reduce our dependency on the original source(I jazzed it up a little;))

For now, don't stress until we do(scary). Like I said, we'll let you know if anything is changing...

it hasn't. The original idea from Eric and I(mostly Eric) was for it to be taken over once it was big enough though so it would ease the burden on Eric mostly and others who help out. It has yet to have any changes but we may have a few coming. Nothing that will affect the game I hope' date=' but rest assured if something were to change, once it was finalized we would inform everyone of the changes to keep this as public knowledge.[/quote']

I want to hear a statement directly from the club regarding whether it is a PNWMAS event or not and if so when it became one. Since this announcement is coming from the club president I can only assume that the club has decided to take over the competition (Whether that be to continue it or shut it down).

First off I would like to say thank you to Erik, Brandon, anyone else who has helped, anyone who has competed, and lastly all of the sponsors. I, as a sponsor and a very active member of this community, would like to have some details and reasoning behind this sudden, seemingly disrupting end to the growout comptition. I am not sure why this kind of post has been made without furthing involving, number one the orgaizers and those running this growout competition and number two the rest of the club.

I am not feaking out yet but I think this kind of activity is questionable at best. It is not right to simply make a decission to shut down something that has been a win win for eveyone involved without any kind of explanation or reasoning.

Please explain... If there is something in the works please involve us, the community of PNWMAS, before jumping to anything rash.

(rock2)PNWMAS!

Eric and Brandon have done a wonderful job! Kudos to them!

We need to remember that this is more than just a forum/club it is a non-profit organization and there are state/federal rules and regulations in regards to administrative documentation that must be followed. This is the main issue....the club is responsible to insure guidelines are met. We need to provide accountability for outgoing items/cash as well as incoming. Tax season is right around the corner and the club needs it's "ducks in a row" to maintain it's 501c status so all members can continue enjoying the perks of membership.

We agreed at the Board Meeting for the Grow Out Competition to continue. we need to comply to PNWMAS guidelines regarding solicitation of any donations, reporting all donations, entry fees, expenditures, etc.

This is all very simple, and I have no problem with it. We are only asking that records be kept and turned in.

Rick has asked when the GOC became a PNWMAS event. Since the PNWMAS Forum is being used to solicit entry fees, and donations from PNWMAS Sponsors, we must document transactions for our records showing that it is not for profit. Since PNWMAS resources are being used exclusively, and "PNWMAS Grow Out Competition" is inscribed on the frag plugs, PNWMAS is ultimately held responsible.

The Grow Out Competition is not being shut down.The GOC is a good thing, and we want it to continue as a successful event. Thank you again Eric and Brandon for all your hard work making it so.

Eric, you have known for a while now that the GOC was going to be handled by the club. The competition is going to go on, it is a good thing for the club and a great idea by Eric. But, it specifically states in the club bylaws that no one except board members or officers shall approach any sponsor for donations. Period.

now, when I was at DJL, I was not approached for our donation of the prize, I volunteered it. But it has come to light that member of the GOC have directly contacted sponsors for donations. That is something that needs to have a papertrail so that the sponsor can write it off, and the GOC can account for the donation.

As some of you may recall, the original VP of the club got into serious trouble by asking sponsors for donations and allegedly, I said allegedly, keeping some of them. I am not saying that the GOC members would do that, but we still need to cover our butts so that can't happen.

Eric, you have known for a while now that the GOC was going to be handled by the club. The competition is going to go on, it is a good thing for the club and a great idea by Eric. But, it specifically states in the club bylaws that no one except board members or officers shall approach any sponsor for donations. Period.

now, when I was at DJL, I was not approached for our donation of the prize, I volunteered it. But it has come to light that member of the GOC have directly contacted sponsors for donations. That is something that needs to have a papertrail so that the sponsor can write it off, and the GOC can account for the donation.

As some of you may recall, the original VP of the club got into serious trouble by asking sponsors for donations and allegedly, I said allegedly, keeping some of them. I am not saying that the GOC members would do that, but we still need to cover our butts so that can't happen.

Well explained Bob-Thanks!!

The Grow Out Competition is one of the better club events we have had, and I would like to see it continue.

I hate doing paperwork too, but still have to do it. I am not that particularly fond of politics either, but see a job that needs to be done.

Your elected Officers and Board Members are not "out to get" Eric or Brandon. I feel it is time for better communication than can be accomplished through e-mail, forum posts, or PM messages. If anyone would like to talk, please PM me and we can either set up a phone call or meeting. Have a good holiday. I have a turkey to cook now.

Just so everyone knows, we were in fact keeping records of everything that came in from the game and everything that was spent. Not to mention the amounts that are left to help us continue the ongoing success of the game. This appears that we are just in need of restructuring how we account for it.

Until now, as this game was in no way a part of the forum, Eric and I were keeping records of all the dealings our selves. We did this so when it did come time to explain, since some had questions, we would be ready and have the documents to back it up.

Now, it seems, to protect the forum you all love so dearly, we need to correct a few things before it is too late. This will in no way effect the game, and it may in fact work out to be easier for Eric and I. The main difference as I understand it will be this: All entry fees will now be going through PNWMAS accounts to be able to track it from the beginning instead of after we get called upon to offer the info up. Also, all prize pieces that are donated will be accounted for upon anyone picking them up from the sponsor.

I know this sounds more crazy then it has to be but, if we want to keep the game, and the forum running this is how it will have to be to protect both. Aside from the fact that this thread was put out in public for all to see, nothing has changed yet with the game. I think the only thing that is gonna change is a weight will be lifted off Eric's back and we will just have one more little hoop to jump through on our end instead. The contestants and sponsors shouldn't see any change at all.

I know JManrow said to pm any questions, but I think it would be better to let people ask questions here if they want to. If one person has a question about something, I'm sure there are a few more thinking the same thing and many more who would love to here the answers to them. If it's okay with the mods then I would say ask away, if not I'm sure we will find out soon enough;)

I think it is increadibly poor form' date=' regardless of the reason, if this thread was how Eric and Brandon found out the Board was putting a hold on (or ending) the GOC.[/quote']

Jason, they are not just finding out about this. There has been an open line of communication from the BOD and officers. We are still awaiting documentation from the organizers of the GOC, but have yet to see anything (receipts and fee documentation and all the correlated finaces).

Jason' date=' they are not just finding out about this. There has been an open line of communication from the BOD and officers. We are still awaiting documentation from the organizers of the GOC, but have yet to see anything (receipts and fee documentation and all the correlated finaces).[/quote']

I have PM'd these figures to Rob Allen, Kris Waters, Lowman, JManrow....would you like me to just post them here for all to see?

So are Eric and Brandon still going to run the competition? I think they both have done a great job with it and deserve so. I would just hate to see with the turnover we have in our club government for it to get lost in the mix like so many other things have over the years.

Happy Turkey Day!