What is this?

Bitricker

I also have a bunch of them. Some question whether they eat corals or not but I have never had any problem with them. IMO it's a sign of a healthy tank. BTW, you have at least a couple of them and probably more. They propogate by splitting and the one in the pic is one of the pieces after splitting.

Looks like an asterina starfish to me. I've got lots of them and haven't seen them bother a coral yet. There are some that eat corals so i've been told. I got a harlequin shrimp a couple weeks ago to reduce the numbers.

I would have to agree with everything above....I actually snag some from my tank and drop in the sump and vise versa....depending on where I need the additional assistance in clean up.

I had a bunch of those stars. They mutiply very fast to where I had to control them. Never saw them bother coral but it looked like they were possibly eating coraline algae. It was just turning white and dissapearing where they were at. I got a harlequin shrimp and he took care of the problem. I have only a couple here and there.

I have personally observed these eating film algae off the glass, and I believe they eat coraline as well. I think the misconception about them "eating" coral is because they will sit on sps and cause it to recede in spots. Also, there are tons of different species of asterina stars, so some may in fact be coral eaters while others only eat algae. Personally I like them and have never had problems with them, but then again I don't have any sps.

• 2 weeks later...