wireless router

reef165

If you don't find someone with a used one check at ENU over on 122nd. just off Sandy Blvd. They can set you up with one for about $50. http://enuinc.com/ Pretty much any Wireless G or Wireless N router can be set up with encryption. The level of encryption is the only thing that may be a bit less in one from the next. In reality the operating system is usually more limiting than the router. I don't recall offhand what level of encryption the Wii has as I never hooked it through my network. (For the little bit of playing around with it I did I connected to another unsecured network close by)

I found this one' date=' [url']http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/1465260252.html[/url] is it good? and if it doesn't come with the software how hard would it be to get do ya think?

That will work, I use to have one similar to it. Software is just a matter of going to the Linksys site and downloading although it probably isn't necessary except perhpas updating the firmware. Configuration of the router can be done via a web interface and the operating system should have everything needed to connect already. (Just a matter of setting up the connection and configuring it)

any wireless should work. My personal opinion is that it may be ok to buy from ENU but I would NOT let them do installation. They installed the LCD's that my work uses and almost immediately we took them down and brought in another company to install them. Not to mention that they charged us $2000 per LCD and they bought them from Costco for under $1k each. We got 4 and spend double what we would have needed to. Lesson learned on my side.

any wireless should work. My personal opinion is that it may be ok to buy from ENU but I would NOT let them do installation. They installed the LCD's that my work uses and almost immediately we took them down and brought in another company to install them. Not to mention that they charged us $2000 per LCD and they bought them from Costco for under $1k each. We got 4 and spend double what we would have needed to. Lesson learned on my side.

I doubt ENU bought any LCDs at Costco (They already have distribution channels of their own since pc components are their primary business). I was unaware that they did on site installations as well however I suppose it's possible. Is it possible this was a different company that you are thinking of as this really doesn't sound like them?

I would make sure that you get someone who knows what they are doing to set it up and show you how to add stuff later. you will want WP2K with MAC address filtering to keep it super secure. it is not hard to do but may take a little work in the beginning.

Broadcasting should be turned off also.

Unfortunately, turning off broadcasting and/or enabling MAC address filtering doesn't do much for security. Freely available tools will show all broadcasted networks as well as broadcasted networks. MAC address spoofing is also very easy done.

The manufacturers of these routers do a very good job of helping even the most novice computer person secure their network. My advice would be to use the cd that comes with the router. It will walk you through step by step how to secure your network. Enable WPA2-AES and you will be secure. Also be sure to put a good password on the router.

Turning off broadcasting and using mac addressing keeps the average user from even trying to access the network. (If they don't even know the network is there they will be less likely to try to get into it) It's usually easier to just move down the street and find a network that's unsecured. Limiting the connections which hasn't been mentioned also keeps it so only a certain number of connections can be made. Mine is set to the same number of systems I have at home accessing the network. These alone will not prevent someone from hacking in so network encryption with a good key should keep the rest out. So while the mac addressing and broadcasting may not prevent everyone from accessing the network they do add a couple of extra layers of security and every little bit helps.

Turning off broadcasting and using mac addressing keeps the average user from even trying to access the network. (If they don't even know the network is there they will be less likely to try to get into it) It's usually easier to just move down the street and find a network that's unsecured. Limiting the connections which hasn't been mentioned also keeps it so only a certain number of connections can be made. Mine is set to the same number of systems I have at home accessing the network. These alone will not prevent someone from hacking in so network encryption with a good key should keep the rest out. So while the mac addressing and broadcasting may not prevent everyone from accessing the network they do add a couple of extra layers of security and every little bit helps.

While all that is true, just setting encryption to WPA2-EAS will keep everyone out anyway. Even the most computer savvy will not get in. IMO, there is no reason for the additional overhead using MAC address filtering when it does little for security.

The OP said he didn't understand any of this, so I thought the simplest solution would be most appropriate. Not only is it the simplest, it's also the most secure, as WPA2-AES has not yet been cracked.

a simple WEP will discourage most from trying. I wouldn't worry about the broadcasting on or off stuff. I guess it just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you would like my advice simply PM or call me.

That's true as well. Someone would need to know what they are doing to crack WEP. But why would someone choose WEP over WPA2, when WEP is less secure? The only reason I can see to choose WEP over WPA2 is for use with legacy clients. He wants to use it for his Wii, which is compatible with WPA2.

That's true as well. Someone would need to know what they are doing to crack WEP. But why would someone choose WEP over WPA2' date=' when WEP is less secure? The only reason I can see to choose WEP over WPA2 is for use with legacy clients. He wants to use it for his Wii, which is compatible with WPA2.[/quote']

I wasn't saying a WEP is better than a WPA2, was just saying that even that would work to detour someone. Yes to get technical about it a WPA2 would work much better. In addition you could do MAC filtering or don't broadcast the SSID but all of that will just make setting up the Wii that much more difficult. Simple set up is better for your situation. Or you could have one of us who is more familiar set it up for you and not have to worry. Seems there are a few of us here so take your pick. I mean no insult to anyone here.

Plus keep in mind....whatever you do for security and configuration you are going to have to remember in case you have issues.

I wasn't saying a WEP is better than a WPA2' date=' was just saying that even that would work to detour someone. Yes to get technical about it a WPA2 would work much better.[/quote']

Sorry about that. I read it as though you were suggesting to use WEP. Now that I re-read it, I see what you meant.

I mean no insult to anyone here.

Nor do I. Just trying to help.

I think we both have the same goal here.

The problem I have always found with computer questions online is that pretty much everyone has a different "perfect solution". Most if not all are adequate if not good. It simply comes down to personal experience or prefferance. Either way we were both right.

your all right, together. It is not about the best layer of security. it is about multiple layers of security. if you turn off broadcasting, enable WPA2, turn on MAC filtering, and limit the amount of devices you should be as secure as anyone could ever hope to be.

It is like having a lock, alarm system, key code, retena scan, and lazer alarms on a building. together they make it impossible (at least highly unlikely) that anyone unauthorized will get in.

your all right, together. It is not about the best layer of security. it is about multiple layers of security. if you turn off broadcasting, enable WPA2, turn on MAC filtering, and limit the amount of devices you should be as secure as anyone could ever hope to be.

It is like having a lock, alarm system, key code, retena scan, and lazer alarms on a building. together they make it impossible (at least highly unlikely) that anyone unauthorized will get in.

agreed.....as stated before though, whatever route you take you are going to want to know so you can fix it yourself if something happens. Also, if you have to have a tech come in it helps to have all the passwords and such....tends to save you money as some will charge for simple password resets.(nutty) must admit I am guilty of this as wellDOH!

Netgear is decent....bout the same as Dlink. I tend to prefer the linksys as they work hand and hand with Cisco which is the only name that matters when pertaining to switches and routers. But I think you will be just fine with the Netgear....after all it is just a Wii and a laptop. Are you going to be doing any torrents or anything like that?