Fort Hood Massacre: Act of Terror or Horrific Crime?

Byrd

Fort Hood Massacre: Act of Terror or Horrific Crime?  

1. 1.

• Act of terror
    • Horrific crime
    • Undecided

Steelhead, I have to disagree

If this guy were named Walter Smith, we'd still be looking to try and find out why he did this...was he crazy or did he have an agenda?

This guy wasn't crazy...he had an agenda...an agenda that he made known...he was moved to attack the enemy, regardless of whatever religion he was...however, his agenda was religion...he also made that known...

While it is absolutely true Christians go on rampages, we understand Christianity better than Islam. So there is that extra fear of the unknown.

DrMerle

I agree with a lot of what has been said but what I am asking has nothing to do with previous "attacks" by other non muslim groups. What I am saying is there have been many other shootings of this magnitude. The dc sniper's, columbine, Virginia tech, etc. where many people have died. Those were never called "terrorist" attacks but because this happened on a military base and the guy was muslim we are so quick to label it a terrorist attack. I should have phrased my question differently but the simple fact is, if this was a white soldier it would be called a "terrible tragedy" where someone lost control.

I know that these are all examples of "terror" but this question is not being asked in that context. It is being asked in the context of should we label this guy as a terrorist to be associated with a muslim group because of his race!

Actually, that's not at all true. The military spokespeople and govt sources have confirmed that this individual has had email correspondence with known terrorists. You appear to be so biased that you reject anything that Fox says, just because they have said it.

Fortunately, we have the completely neutral and un-biased folks over at MSNBC to inform us:

"Separately, another U.S. official said the person Hasan was communicating with was Anwar al-Awlaki"

People keep setting up straw-men arguments that we wouldn't be asking the question is this were a white person with a Christian name. But that has been proven untrue many times over. As I mentioned earlier, The Oklahoma bombing was called terrorism. The uni-bomber was called a terrorist.

I agree that people are quicker, in a post Sept 11 environment to question a terrorist connection when there is a muslin connection. But let's at least be intellectually honest about other actions - committed by white christians - being attributed to terrorism.

As I have mentioned, I'm not sure whether this was terrorism or something more akin to a hate-crime, similar to the attack at the Holocaust museum.

The facts remains that the underlying motivation was religious - as made clear by Hasan's own writings (and powerpoint presentations). The fact remains that this person was in contact with known terrorists overseas.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on how to label it - except apparently for those evil bastards over at Fox.

Actually here is where that report came from: Brian Ross at ABC News reported this and it seems to be a case of sloppy sensationalistic reporting, something they all do, but Fox News seems to do it more than others, especially when it can be construed to be anti-Obama:

Ross' report yesterday that Hasan had attempted to "make contact with people associated with al Qaeda" took over the internet yesterday and sparked a furious round of speculation that Hasan's attack was part of an Islamic terrorist plot. The headline, "Officials: U.S. Army Told of Hasan's Contacts with al Qaeda," said it all. The far more mundane truth emerged today in the pages of the New York Times and the Washington Post: Hasan had communicated via e-mail with Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical American cleric living in Yemen who formerly served as the imam of a mosque Hasan had attended in Virginia. What did they talk about? From the Washington Post:

The FBI determined that the e-mails did not warrant an investigation, according to the law enforcement official. Investigators said Hasan's e-mails were consistent with the topic of his academic research and involved some social chatter and religious discourse.

This actually happened back in 2005, so they've known about this guy for a few years. And to say that he had contacts with known terrorists, while technically correct, simply doesn't tell the whole story.

Oh, and I have refrained from throwing personal barbs in my posts, I would appreciate the same courtesy.

Oh' date=' and I have refrained from throwing personal barbs in my posts, I would appreciate the same courtesy.[/quote']

Steelhead, not sure if you are referring to me pointing out your anti-Fox bias as a barb. If what I said was a barb, than I am truly sorry.

I was just trying to point out that you were dismissing something as untrue specifically and explicitly because it had been reported by Fox news. I don't think your bias against them is in question, since you refer to Fox as "propaganda junkies" and "wingnuts". Personally, I'm biased against MSNBC - it's perfectly acceptable to have a bias.

The only speculation you hear about this being a Muslim "affiliated with terrorists overseas" and thus committing a "terrorist" attack is from the wingnuts at Fox News.

I was simply trying to make the point that it wasn't untrue simply because Fox said it - and that there were several other sources (included the FBI) for the same information - Fox was not the only one saying it. Although, clearly you are aware of that given your last post.

And, as I mentioned in my last post, I wasn't saying that made him a terrorist - I'm still not sure I would consider him as such. But his communications with known terrorists was in fact true, and being reported by other sources. So that's a valid point to consider for people trying to reconcile his action in their own mind.

If a white man were to shoot a black man, I wouldn't automatically assume the crime was a racist act. But if I found out the white man attended Klan meetings, I would probably assume that racism was involved.

So, hopefully that helps clarify my comments. No offense was intended, but if any was taken, than I am honestly sorry.

I almost just didn't read this thread because I knew it would be a passionate issue - and I'm just not the kind of person that can keep my yap shut.

Whew Doggie, now there is a whole new thread in its own-I aint touching that one.

Sort of wish I would not have started this one-(scratch)

But Minni, if you have any hints to where the missing link can be found let the "powers that be" have a clue-don't get me wrong, I am not saying creationism is it nor am I saying evolution is it.

I will say "we" will most likely never know and that is why they are beliefs, other wise they would be "proofs"

There's a huge underground movement of intellectual, peace loving nontheists

That sounds scary-organized-hmmm don't tell big brother.

And 100% in agreement Political Correctness SUCKS and is ruining our country-

Time to step down from my soap box, don't want to look like an IDIOT or should I say "intellectually challenged" BAAARRRRFFFFFFF-:eek:

No reason to pick on people with religious beliefs...

As is typical, a question was raised about a happening which should unite all Americans...instead liberals turn it into a conservative bashing event...again, it is OK to be over the top politically correct, just don't include religious people in with the 'GIFTED" people...it is amazing to me that we are who you choose to be your enemies...

I am scientifically minded...I am a doctor...I am also a proud Christian...does that make closed minded? For me, I hope this thread ends here...

DrMerle