salt

tom_c55

So i just set up my new to me 100 gal and i put in my crushed coral and then the water with salt that wasnt mixed up very well at all thinking that it would mix it self through the overflow slash return action it has been running for probably 8 hours now and its still full of what looks like salt particles so i was wondering if anyone has done this and how long it took before it was all mixed. im using red sea coral pro salt

do you have any powerheads going in the tank to sture things up? Did you add it over the crushed coral? Prob shoulda added the salt to the sump so it couldnt hide in the crushed coral if thats what ya did. just stir it with your hands crushed coral and all let it go for a couple hours and stir again till its all gone. Oh and add a powerhead or two.

+1 on adding power heads, vortech, korelia's whatever....gotta get more flow to mix it up. Also unfortunately I do beleive you are going to have to stir your sand pretty good to make sure any salt collected is disovled...dont want your salt levels always on the rise....that could be bad in the long run....IMO.

what you may also want to do is get rid of the CC, CC is known for being a huge nitrate factory since pretty much everything will end up working its way under the layer of CC, if you can, pull it all out and get a couple of bags of aragonite sand, i prefer sugar sized, but, you can really do whatever size you want, sugar sized makes it easier on any sand sifting type fish, such as watchman gobies, that you pick to put in your tank. and, honestly, after a while, the CC will end up taking on a nasty brown tinge and just look bad, after about 6-8 months, if you take some out, it will smell horrible. its one of those things that has to be constantly cleaned, by you, using a vacuum, and then you have to be extremely careful that you dont stir it up too much, as that can throw your water parameters all out of wack and possibly start a whole new cycle, and this could potentially happen 2 years down the road, totally destroying your tank.

what i would personally recommend is going to an LFS, not a petco lol, and picking up dry aragonite, or, getting in on the southdown sand order that Rick is putting together, you really wont find a better sand anywhere, especially at the price he's offering, .25/pound, thats an awesome deal, and you should, unless you want a deep sand bed, be able to get by with rougly 100lbs of sand, so only about 25 bucks worth.

just my .02 worth.

mick

p.s. i totally agree with eric and reef, getting 1-3 powerheads in there will make things a LOT easier on you, your going to need them anyway, you may want to look, with the size of your tank, at getting at least 2 koralia 4's, if you want pm me, ill give you a website i found that has the absolute best prices on koralias that i have seen anywhere, local or on the web.