So what do you think of the Grow Out Competition? How can we improve?

So what do you think of the Grow Out Competition? How can we improve?  

1. 1.

• Good as it is.
    • Needs some improvement.
    • It's stupid.

I thought it might be a good time to ask what everyone thinks of the Grow Out Competition now. We have started round 2 with some much needed improvements but still had a few problems with distribution of frags and so on.

So I thought I would get some of your opinions. If you feel there are area's that could use improvement please share what those are and what suggestions you may have.

Please don't just vote for "Needs some improvement" and not assisting with where and how. The intent of this is to see if there are areas of obvious improvement that I may be missing. Even if it isn't obvious, I most likely do not recognize all areas of improvement but some of you might.

I could use some help, hence this thread because I seriously feel like that Maroon 5 song....."is there anyone out there cause it's getting harder and harder to breathe" I think with some suggestions it might make future competitions a bit easier and smoother....which in turn would releive some of the pressure.

I voted needs improvement but keep in mind that I am the type that feels we should always strive to improve things whenever possible. (If I were to rate the job done up to this point I would give it a 9 out of 10 meaning overall you've been doing an excellent job) Here are a few suggestions I would make.

1: Set a specific cutoff point whether it be number of entries or a date and stick to that. I noticed with this one that both were extended.

2: Fragging was started earlier but they were not glued onto the frag plugs until the last minute. This could be a concern although it remains to be seen. In the end I think most do not mind considering the cool frag plugs but something to consider next time.

3: The above mentioned distribution issues are the biggest improvement (both that were made and that still need work). Great strides were made from the previous one but it still needs a little work. The biggest thing to improve would be setting up the meeting times/places a week or so in advance for the distributors so they are better prepared to set up pickup times with their groups. Perhaps having the distributors get them the day before would be a better plan. In the end it worked out okay for my group (all but one got theirs yesterday with that one unable to due to work) however I was concerned right up to the last. (It wasn't until about 1 PM yesterday that I finally contacted the last person)

So far you have taken all of my suggestions to be constructive so please do so with the above ones as well. I think these competitions benifit everyone whether they realize it or not so I want to see it be a continued success. Overall I think this one has a much better start than the last which helped a lot when there was a little confusion.

• Like 1

I do intend to get the distribution points the frags before the start date next round, not on, and AFTER they have them, post that they are available and to make arrangements from there.

Yes they sign up's were extended this time around as we had so many polyps. I could have probably still allowed another 10 in and had left overs there too. Also althought the frags weren't glued to the plugs until 2 days before distribution, they were cut almost 3 weeks prior so there was little to no stress.

Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it

One other suggestion would be to make thread and label it "November GOC Sponsors". Sticky this to the top. I realize they are listed in the information thread but it isn't obvious where to find a list of sponsors for this one.

For any potential sponsors still on the fence here I spoke to one contestant yesterday that said he specifically made a trip out to every sponsor in the local area that made donations to this contest.

One other suggestion would be to make thread and label it "November GOC Sponsors". Sticky this to the top. I realize they are listed in the information thread but it isn't obvious where to find a list of sponsors for this one.

For any potential sponsors still on the fence here I spoke to one contestant yesterday that said he specifically made a trip out to every sponsor in the local area that made donations to this contest.

Done for both the July and November competitions....can't believe I didn't think of that.DOH!

Hey Eric, IMO the give away went well, at least from my distributor. Of course I was first and got first choice.

At one tie when you and I were taking and you mentioned you got what was "left over" after everybody got theirs and you were fine with that which is cool but should not be that way, especially in my opinion since you do plenty and it could be better.

You like I do this because its fun-there is no way I will be in the "winning group" and I know that going into to it. But in distributing who get s what should be the luck of the draw and not first come first served.

So I would offer up for consideration a method that is fair and truly "the luck of the draw".

Every participant is assigned a number/letter whatever. Each frag is also assigned a number/letter again what ever. You pull a piece of paper that has the participant and his/her # on it and what frag corresponds to that number is the frag they get. If you keep doing the acrylic plugs you could etch a number on the bottom and that would be the number that corresponds with the one you pull.

Just a thought, extra work perhaps, but if I felt I had a chance to win and then found out I got the last frag that everyone else passed on, I would feel like I am already starting at a deficit.

In case you wondering why I know I wont be in the winners circle, as everyone knows zoos and softies like a little NO3 or "dirtier water" I have .01ppm NO3 and .02ppm NO4, I try to offset that by feeding daily as much as possible but I cant seem to raise my NO3(laugh)

I know how to raise my NO3 if I really wanted too-no advice/suggestions needed:D

Anyway, I think what you have done is great and the number thing is only an idea if there has ever been someone who felt like they got "leftovers"

Just an idea

From what I saw I agree they all looked pretty close.

But if you can go back to those days in school when you picked teams-You usually were not that happy to pick the last person-LOL not alot of consideration to how that person felt but the zoos dont know any better(laugh)

Granted I did see one show where a group of people cried when the grass was cut-because grass has feelings too..OMG(nutty)

Mine was just something to mull over-I think the comp. is just fine the way it is added with the earlier suggestions.

Good luck everyone!

Im thinking that there should be an extended GOC with a med. to fast growing SPS pos a birds nest or something. Maybe one that could start the first week of jan. and go through june. I realize that an SPS grow out would be harder to find a winner but with it we could put it to a vote at the end on who thought who's grew the most and have a before and after pic at the end to vote on.

Yes, Eric has mnentioned this and we've discussed it a few times. Not sure if it will be SPS or some LPS though. The biggest issue I see with voting is that it will be almost impossible to eliminate the photographic ability from the ending vote. I.E. If one person can take really great pics and the next can only get by enough to post update shots then the vote will be swayed towards the better picture even though the actual coral may not be quite as nice if they are side by side. Because of this it would be better to use growth as the deciding factor which is more difficult with most SPS. One option we've discussed would be to make the competition end not on a specific date but rather when a set goal is reached. For instance an encrusting monti could win once the frag plug was completely covered. (That would eliminate me as I'm not putting any montis in right now but nevertheless it's one way it could be done) LPS (Acans, candy canes, etc.) are a little easier to measure as they can be done by counting the eyes/heads at the end. LPS I think would also result in a larger contest group for a 6 month competition. Yet another thing we have discussed is to do yet a 3rd. contest over a 1 year period with some of the more difficult corals. Something to keep in mind though is that the current contests are still in the early stages and Eric is still working out the issues that are inevitable getting this kind of thing going. Because of this while there have been other ideas/competitions discussed he has wisely decided to get through a couple of the shorter ones first to work out any problems before jumping into a longer one.

......and here I was thinking it was all for fun.....DOH!

I voted Good as is.

Ditto here

LOL at the stupid vote-Hater(flame)

That was the person always picked last at school team events-careful now, I'm packn' (as usual:p)

Good ideas so far guys! I foresee the GOC going very smoothly from this point forward!

In case you wondering why I know I wont be in the winners circle, as everyone knows zoos and softies like a little NO3 or "dirtier water" I have .01ppm NO3 and .02ppm NO4, I try to offset that by feeding daily as much as possible but I cant seem to raise my NO3(laugh)

FYI---I run a very low nutrient system. My NO3 & P04 are undetectable with Elos test kits. My Zoas and Palys thrive, so I dont think having "clean" water will keep you out of the "winners circle."

All things being said Eric, I think the GOC is pretty dialed in (rock2)

FYI---I run a very low nutrient system. My NO3 & P04 are undetectable with Elos test kits. My Zoas and Palys thrive, so I dont think having "clean" water will keep you out of the "winners circle."

WOO HOO!!-I have always heard they like dirtier water and when I got my NO3 down to the level it is, my zenia stopped growing like a weed and all softies did for that matter as well as my zoos-they grew but not like they used to.

It was like they all were on steriods and then one day stopped. I used to have to frag my zenia to a point that I hated it, and was going to get rid of it-Not anymore, it barely grows just thrives without growth-perfect balance or me.

Now Back to topic

As far as the judging for a lps/sps growout Eric and I figured it would be a whole different way of choosing winners. I can't go to far yet as we didn't set it in stone yet so no need to stimulate your minds just yet. It will just be a new twist, and that's all I'm gonna say for now;)

As far as the judging for a lps/sps growout Eric and I figured it would be a whole different way of choosing winners. I can't go to far yet as we didn't set it in stone yet so no need to stimulate your minds just yet. It will just be a new twist' date=' and that's all I'm gonna say for now;)[/quote']

could # the frag plug and have a good pic of it before it was sent out then have reg pics sent in monthly then maybe have a couple people that take good pics go arround to local ( to them ) GOC and take finnal pics for them. and could most likly post them right then and there on the GOC home computer.

As far as the judging for a lps/sps growout Eric and I figured it would be a whole different way of choosing winners. I can't go to far yet as we didn't set it in stone yet so no need to stimulate your minds just yet. It will just be a new twist' date=' and that's all I'm gonna say for now;)[/quote']

I hope we get an sps grow out going. I want to be a part of this but I am affraid I dont want to contaminate my tank with zoa's.