new to the site

jgf86123

hey guys and gals, im quite new to the site, just joined yesterday i think it was, and just wanted to introduce myself.

ive got a 20 long saltwater reef tank currently that im slowly working on putting the pieces together to upgrade to a 40 breeder, or something similar, looking into possibly building it myself out of either 1/2" or 3/4" acrylic, with a 20 long, or similar, sump, along with a custom built frag tank that should be capable of holding 50-100 frags.

im still looking for places to buy the acrylic along with the weld-on #4 that ill need, so if anyone in the vancouver/portland area knows of a good place to pick up acrylic sheets, pre-cut would be nice, please let me know.

my current stock list on my 20 long is a bar goby and a melanarus wrasse, with purple deaths, purple fisions and standard brown button polyps, along with hairy mushrooms, regular mushrooms, and 2 yumas, with roughly 30lbs of live rock.

all that will be moved into the new tank, and my new frag tank that i plan on building is going to be an AIO that ive designed myself, i know it will work as a friend in texas has the exact tank, just on a larger scale, and its working perfectly for his frags.

im a frequent customer of rose city aquariums, for me, they're the nicest store around, both stock wise, price wise, and most definitely customer service wise.

once i do get the new tank set up, along with the new frag tank, ill be doing a large order from vivid for some of their high end zoas, as that is my thing, and once i get them growing and have them fragged up, i will gladly sell them to anyone here, at a much discounted price from what vivid charges.

like most of the people here who do sell frags, im not in it to get rich, i just would like to be able to fund my saltwater addicition by selling the frags, so you will not see outrageous prices on my stuff.

thanks

If you are looking to go bigger, you might want to consider buying the ones blowbubbles has for sale here under classifieds. It will be a little bit of drive to pick up, but that is a killer system for a killer price. If I didn't already have a tank already, that 180 gallon would be gone!

sweet, thanks rick, i was actually told today at the home depot in jansen beach to check out tap plastic, and im pretty sure thats the place my father in law suggested to me, thanks for the heads up man.

and glass is an option, i was lookin at the acrylic simply because of the weight, im trying to save as much weight as i can on this since it is going to be upstairs

about 15-20 minutes north of battleground washington' date=' roughly 30 minutes from vancouver and roughly 45 minutes from portland, about 20-30 minutes south of lake merwin/cougar area[/quote']

Not really sure if it is any closer but I think we have a sponsor somewhere around Longview. I know we have a few members up there.

FWIW, My Dad use to have a place up at Lake Merwin. I recall spending many weekends out on the lake.

if the sponsor around longview is jj's its gone, they had a going out of business sale this weekend, and after being in there and dealing with the rudeness of the person working in there, i can honestly say that even if they werent going out of business, they will never have my business again

sweet, thanks rick, i was actually told today at the home depot in jansen beach to check out tap plastic, and im pretty sure thats the place my father in law suggested to me, thanks for the heads up man.

and glass is an option, i was lookin at the acrylic simply because of the weight, im trying to save as much weight as i can on this since it is going to be upstairs

The weight difference isn't going to be that much for a tank that size.

thanks for the heads up beckie

ill go ahead and describe the frag tank im looking to build, its going to be an AIO, 30"x12"x12", overall, with 20x12 of that being used for frag trays, and then the final 10x12 will be split into 2 compartments for filtration, its kinda hard to fully describe, but, when its fully done, i think you guys an gals will be quite impressed by it.

thanks for the heads up beckie

ill go ahead and describe the frag tank im looking to build, its going to be an AIO, 30"x12"x12", overall, with 20x12 of that being used for frag trays, and then the final 10x12 will be split into 2 compartments for filtration, its kinda hard to fully describe, but, when its fully done, i think you guys an gals will be quite impressed by it.

Have you given any thought to modifying a 20 gallon long tank to add the compartments? A 20 gallon long is 30x12x12 already and would be a lot cheaper to buy than either glass or acrylic would be to build.

i have rick, i just figured that since i was going through all the trouble with the new tank, which will be handbuilt as well unless i can find a 40 breeder at a decent price, i figured what the hell, why not do the frag tank at the same time lol. but, if i can find said 40 breeder at a good price, im just going to compartmentalize a 20 long, and use a 20 long as my sump on my DT as well lol

thanks rick, if it was a 33 long, id gladly take you up on that offer lol my biggest problem with standard tank sizes is i dont like tall tanks, and i consider anything over roughly 16" tall, and while i love my 20 long, its just not deep enough for me, i really like an 18" deep tank lol

thanks rick' date=' if it was a 33 long, id gladly take you up on that offer lol my biggest problem with standard tank sizes is i dont like tall tanks, and i consider anything over roughly 16" tall, and while i love my 20 long, its just not deep enough for me, i really like an 18" deep tank lol[/quote']Understandable. It will probably be here for awhile if you decide it will work for anything. I had 2 20g longs not long ago but one is a refugium under my display now and the other is a sump now under my brothers tank.