tanks for teachers

Mr S

Hey people, thanks for the new AquaPod tank from the tanks for teachers program. Will post pictures when it is all set up. I plan on putting in some softies but the major attraction will be 2 dragon faced Australian pipefish. Students will get a kick out of them. (me too)

fyi make sure the tank is well established before the pipefish go in' date=' they need a good population of 'pods to survive. I would also only do one for that size tank. They are very cool fish and im picking one up next weekend[/quote']

I agree with you Roy, on first establishing the tank. Pipes and seahorses are such social fish, that I feel it would be a shame to have only one in a tank. I feel your aquapod should handle two when it is ready. This is just my personal observation.

Kids are excited to just see a filled tank in my room. Too bad it only has sand and 2 live rock. I plan on putting in a bunch of macro for awhile and then put the pipefish in about 3 weeks from now. Any tricks on getting them to eat CyclopEZ?

Kids are excited to just see a filled tank in my room. Too bad it only has sand and 2 live rock. I plan on putting in a bunch of macro for awhile and then put the pipefish in about 3 weeks from now. Any tricks on getting them to eat CyclopEZ?

When Wild Caught seahorses and pipefish (the pipes you will be getting are probably WC) were what was usually available, I would feed them live brineshrimp and mysis at the same time. I would add a small amount of frozen mysis to the tank, then a minute later add live brine. The frozen mysis triggered their feeding response and within a week they were eating all frozen mysis.

This method would probably work with cyclopeze too.

While this article at LiveAquaria.com says minimum tank size is 50 gallons for a pair or group of them, I really do feel a pair will do fine in a 24 gallon aquapod, as long as they are the only fish in it.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+267+282&pcatid=282

Matty, will take the Kenya tree. That would be awesome. I plan on doing water changes at least 2 times a month. I hope to also establish a good pod population before hand. Just trying to come up with something to put in the tank besides a yellow tail acclimator damsel! I am also leaning towards a pair of Harlequin shrimp. I was going to put them in the frag tank but might work out better in the Aquapod. Would they get along with pipe fish?

I hear that is the key. Best case scenario would be to buy some that are already eating them. However all pipefish are wild caught?!

As far as I know. I have not read of accounts of pipes being captive raised. The dragonface pipefish fry I have dealt with were born as tiny threads that looked to small for even rotifers as a first food. Perhaps ciliates would be needed.

I will ask pledosophy if he has heard of any captive raised pipefish.