Moving to Portland soon.

Mascasa

Hi everyone. Well I finally did it. I left the navy and got myself a real job. I'm moving from San Diego and should be up in the area around June. Now comes the tricky part though. How the heck am I going to move my reef up there? Luckily my tank is only a 26gal so I think it can be done. If any of you have ever done a long distance tank move I could use any advice you have to offer. TJ

post-86-141867764707_thumb.jpg

Hey first off congratulaions on the job!!!! (highfive)

Secondly, glad you found us! (can I ask how?)

Now the questions.

1 - Are you coming up first to look for a place?

2 - Maybe you can find out if one of our LFS sponsors can hold your stuff for you. If you can come up before the move maybe you can work something out and mail them up or bring them and have a store sit them for you.

Can't really help you with the move as I have never moved a tank more than 50 miles.

Hopefully someone will have advise for you.

AGAIN, welcome welcome

thanks.

I do plan to come up about a week before I move in to find a place to live and maybe setup a tank in the new place. Not sure if that will work or not though as i will be driving up and will most likely need a couple days to look around. I'm not sure the live rock can handle that kind of abuse or not.

Do you know if any of the shops up there ever hold stuff for people or not? Or even would have the space to do it?

Would love to make it to a meeting just lmk when and where.

edit: oh yeah found you with a yah00 search.

I was going to move to SF a few months ago but the job fell through. I posted on several forums to get as much advice as possible. What I was going to do was first have someone sit for all the living creatures. Then when I was ready for the move I would put everything into bags, except the liverock, and have it all in a big cooler. Since I would have everything in the car heat wouldn't be to much of an issue but you could get a power converter to power a heater as well. I wouldn't worry about power heads because the car movement would keep the water moving. Maybe and air bubbler? I was planning to take my sandbed but that would have been a huge ordeal and the smell would be awful. There are alot of locals that will fish sit for you here. And several of the LFS will help you out as well. One thing I considered when I was planning to move was just selling off my livestock and starting over. Many of us will help you get started again with frags and livesand. The liverock, zoos, mushrooms, ricordia,etc. I would think, could handle the long trip. I have had zoos in the dark for two weeks and they came back. Sorry for the long post. Keep us informed TJ.

Craig

I moved to Portland from Sac. several years back, and i brought everything in 5 gallon buckets from home depot. i drilled holes in the top and glued in airline nipples, 2 in each lid. then i got 4 batter powered air pumps, and ran tubing to one lid nipple, then from under the lid to an airstone that sat in the water. all 4 buckets sat on the running boards of the u-haul, and everyhting made it here alive just fine. to save weight, you can pack any base rock under your reef structure in wet newspaper in a foam icechest, and then when you get to portland, just rinse it really well. several stores sell pre-mixed saltwater, i would plan on going that route to save setup time, so you dont have to make any RO water and then wait for salt to mix.

let us know when the exact date hits, someone will be more than happy to take you to the local shops i am sure so you can make arrangements to have water and what not ready for your arrival.