Saltwater

jeff_pdx

I am currently running a 14 Gal BioCube. The tank has been set up for about 18 months. I have recently grown tired of mixing my own saltwater, and I am considering using salt water from a LFS in town. I am sure everybody has an opinion on this, so I thought I would ask. Is there a noticeable difference from one store to the next in terms of water quality? Also, how should I make this transition from my water to using pre mixed water. Your responses are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

I am currently running a 14 Gal BioCube. The tank has been set up for about 18 months. I have recently grown tired of mixing my own saltwater, and I am considering using salt water from a LFS in town. I am sure everybody has an opinion on this, so I thought I would ask. Is there a noticeable difference from one store to the next in terms of water quality? Also, how should I make this transition from my water to using pre mixed water. Your responses are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

There cab be huge differences from store to store. It depends on how fresh their filters are, how well they clean the saltwater storage tanks, the kind of salt they use, the SG of said water, temperature of the water. A lot of things can go wrong. I know it is a bummer to make your own water, but in the end, why "fix it if it aint broken"? You could go to each store, ask for a sample and test some of the water quality parameters for your self.

Making your own salt - you keep the quality high.

You can make it eaiser to "make" salt, I use a 55gal drum, divert some water from the ro/di, add the salt and mix the saltwater in that with a mag 12, usually a couple days ahead of the WC. then just pump it out to the sump.

Depending on your situation, I can't think of a easier no brainer set up than the one I have. Large garbage can on wheels. 1200 pump in the bottom to circulate salt mixture and use as a transfer pump ie: stick it in the tank with long hose for drain and then stick it in the can to tranfer salt mix from can into tank. Mounted the RO/DI outside next to the faucet and can let the can fill without a headache. over run goes in the dogs bowl and then runs off to the grass. I had been using 5 gallon water jugs and they worked fine also, just have to remember to switch the hose to the other one. It seems to be a good way to do it, but if you are only sticking to 14 gallon cube and a 20% change every week nets you roughly 2.5 gallons It may work out best to stick with one store, better consistancy, one or two 5g jugs and store them in a closet until needed.

I buy my water too. I can mix it, but with the space we have setting up the RODI would be tight and it is just easier to buy it for me.

Since Waves has closed I haven't done a waterchange so . . . if you find a good spot LMK.

The last time I tried getting water at seahorses, couple years back there were detectable nitrates, phosphates and the calcium was in the low 300's. It has been some time, maybe just a bad batch, I might try them again to see if things have changed.