Coral fights

Saltfinsax

I thought I would put this out there. The Pallys and Hydro have been touching for it seems like for ever in that spot without anyone giving ground.

Well today it seems like the Hydro is bringing out the big guns, but the Pallys are hunkering down like Romans wityh there shield up.

Picture197.jpg[/img]

Anyone else have some fight pics?

Looks like those Palythoas were asking for it. If they try to encroach on a Hydnophora's territory I guarentee certain death for the ones lucky enough to feel the wrath of its Acontia! (nono)

Enough of the dramatics though, because on a serious note if those Palythoas were at least 1 inch away while extended it might not be a problem.

Heck, we have a neon green Hydnophora in our store that we have been aquaculturing forever. Probably the greenest thing you'll ever see in your life. It doesn't seem to hurt a thing until something is right on it. However the darker green one that we have been aquaculturing is a little less forgiving, just by a inch or two though. ;)

Best regards, Ricky Soutas Jr.

-Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc.-

I've seen the hydno reach out over 2". I won't have it in my tank unless I need to clear room for something. It is kind of like clear cutting the forest

You've viewed your Hydnophora reaching out over 2 inches. We must not forget that there are many different species of Hydnophora and even more variants that all have different levels of aggression and stinging capabilities. It would be a shame for such a beautiful coral to have its name ruined over a few bad experiences which were probably caused due to improper spacing.

A few other things that will make a difference in whether the Hydnophora will reach out and touch somebody are things like flow, and threat level. Something that the Hydnophora might perceive as a threat will more than likely be toasted on the spot than something that isn't as menacing.

We advise giving corals at least 4-6 inches of space from each other, trimming as necessary or relocating the colony to a more open space if it gets too big. This will also help with shading or what I call purposeful over growth. Corals will literally try to shade out their opponents (Other corals) by trying to grow up and over them causing the coral below them to receive less light and eventually none if the colony doing this branches over it excessively. I've even seen many times where large colonies will throw a branch directly in the direction of a small colony that has started to grow as to wipe it out before it even becomes a threat.

We have to remember that corals aren't simple beings that can be fully understood by one specimen, they are very advanced, very tactical, and in the case of Hydnophora made of many different creatures not just one. The algae Zooxanthellae that lives on them, and all of the polyps (Hydnophores in this case) that form the colony as well could quite frankly be counted as individuals, but they work together so that they all may thrive! :)

Guest Snorkelwasp

my diploastrea will kick a hydnos butt....sweepers like 7+inches...it bows down to no one lol! hydno rated like a 4-5 out of 10. diplo=9. anyone want a frag o death?! lol

Haha, Man you guys are like Michael Vick's of coral fighting lol. Better make sure someone dosent turn you bad boys in.

Last night before I went to bed I was tired of seeing the pallys like that, so I got my cleaner stick and pulled the Hydro guts off them and then started to smack the hydro like a bad dog and he then slowly sucked the guts back in. How trippy is that.

Guest Snorkelwasp

my merulina seems to stalemate with the diplo...merulina has way denser sweepers but diplo way longer sweepers in my tank...but it can vary...i think they battle even harder because they know they are neighbors lol...

coral battles would be awesome...haha

My Merulina would give your diplo a run for its money lol. For that matter it would give Ricky's hydno a run for it money too :) We should play "battle corals" one of these days(naughty)

I bet it would, I don't doubt that at all.

However, I rather aquaculture more of these two Hydnophoras than send frags of them to their death. :p

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I bet it would, I don't doubt that at all.

However, I rather aquaculture more of these two Hydnophoras than send frags of them to their death. :p

I have a frag of your hydno & it got swept by a frogspawn causing damage to the hydno. You are right about it being greener than green & I love the thing so I cut 25 heads off the frogspawn. I need to get back up there & get a few more goodies from ya.

I have a frag of your hydno & it got swept by a frogspawn causing damage to the hydno. You are right about it being greener than green & I love the thing so I cut 25 heads off the frogspawn. I need to get back up there & get a few more goodies from ya.

Wow, sounds like that frogspawn was huge! :) It will think twice before messing with that hydno again that's for sure. :p

I look forward to seeing you!

An oldie but a goody:

163781378_6092bfc3ee_o.jpg

Now that is some heavy duty Acontia distribution!:eek: