Yet another question

orion

We have our protein skimmer all hooked up and seems to be running great! The only issue is that we're having a lot of air bubbles coming back into the ref tank (and thus cycling up into the display). Any hints or suggestions on how to stop these annoying micro-bubbles? We've tried adjusting the flow from the skimmer but it only seems to make it worse..... DOH!

an 90 deg elbo on the return pump so the water coming into the pump is being sucked up from the very bottom of the sump, and the filter sock trick helps alot! I've also had a pinhole in the plumbing before that acted like a ventury that sucked air into the plumbing insted of leaking.

The skimmer is a SeaQuest protein skimmer (though not sure of the model?). We quit using the bottom input because it was putting bubbles straight down into the over-flow tube (and back into the ref tank). The top nozzle has been turned to go straight up so that the bubbles go up and not straight down into the drain tube.

_IGP7686.jpg

I would put the ventury on the upper inlet and then inside the skimmer body put a tube down into the center tube in the skimmer body all the way down to within about 1 inch of the bottom then whare the ventury is now use it as your return water and try to get one of those gate valves from rick that he just got and put it on the out coming water to adjust the skimmer

Where your outlet comes out you can put a container to make the water overflow similar to what a baffle would do to reduce the micro bubbles.

The 2 gate valves I got (the rest are all ball valves) are probably going to end up on my drain lines next time I work on them. They're 1 1/2" which is overkill for this skimmer anyway.