R-3'S OFFICIAL 90G 3'x2'x2' THREAD

R-3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I went and picked up my light and calc. reactor tonight. Both are in beautiful shape! I got my light home and set it up on some temp 2x4s. I forgot how bright t5's were! WOW!! One thing that I have noticed now though is that the tank has alot of small scratches on it. Im gonna call my glass buddy tomorrow about this but does anyone know about "glass scratch repairs?" I know its easy to do with acrylic but dont know much about glass. This really sucks. Hopefully it works out. Later Ryan

I did a lot of reading on RC last night and it seems like its split down the middle whether to do it. Its seems like a lot of work also, which if it works is worth it. Some seem to think it doesnt make a difference. Later Ryan

OK, I can't find my notes and the Portland dist., but the stuff is called Cerium Oxide. Prices vary, the place wanted about $15 for Cerium Oxide (enough to do a large tank), but the polishing wheel was around $45. Some people have used cloth baby diapers. You mix the stuff with water to make a thick paste and rub like crazy.

Check this site for his tank repair. http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html .

Depending on how big of a problem you have, it will take a bit of work. If the scratches can be caught with your fingernail, this stuff won't work. I've seen some kits online with step down sanding pads for deep repairs like http://www.gtglass.com/products.htm#scratchhog .

Good luck and update if you actually do this and how long it took. Take pictures of before, during and after too please.

Yeah I decided to say forget about the buffin. Ill live with it. Gives me a reason to upgrade. Even though I really like this tank size. Its pretty much perfect for me. I got done putting sand in it and Im filling it with RO/DI water right now. So Ill do the transfer tomorrow. I decided to use my old tank water so (45G+ -it will be about a 50% water change essentially) Im gonna be breaking everything down. Gonna be a long day tomorrow. It will be nice to have everything switched over though. Ill update with pics tomorrow!!! Later Ryan

After the Beavers gave up today I started to transfer everything over. I thought I had it all planned out. I hadit figured how much fresh and how much saltwater I would need. WRONG! My formula was off by about 5-7 gallons. Oops. So then I had to wait for that to get mixed up. After that I moved the old tank into the garage. When I came back in my daughter was standing over the tub that had the fish and corals in it and was playin in it. She had a spray bottle of "smelly stuff" she had sprayed in there because she said the fish needed to smell pretty. :) So I hurried and got everything out of there and into the tank. I hope most of my stuff makes it. Everything looks pretty good besides that mishap. Ill get some pics up tomorrow when the tank finally clears all the way. So overall I think the switch went well. I did lose my Pygmy Angel but I think he had been on his way out. Im not sure what happened either. Maybe just too stressed out. Pics to come! Later Ryan

It seems I got lucky. I havent noticed anything that was really pissed off yet. Here are some pics. Remember I havent aquascaped and stuff is just thrown in there till I get some bigger pieces of rock for the right side. I might order a box tomorrow from my LFS, who knows. Heres some pics.

FULL TANK

DSC05969.jpg

HERES A SHOT OF THE LEFT SIDE. MY LEATHER JUST GOT DONE TAKING A HUGE POOP IS WHY HES NOT TOO HAPPY LOOKIN. MY CLOWN HAS LOVED THE TWO RBTAS BEING TOGETHER NOW. HE JUST SWIMS BACK AND FORTH NOW.

DSC05980.jpg

RANDOM ZOO SHOT

DSC05974.jpg