R-3'S OFFICIAL 90G 3'x2'x2' THREAD

R-3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Equipment list-

Return- Eheim 1262 w/ 2 1/2" or 3/4" Seaswirls

Skimmer- RPS-1000 Recirc (for now- rated at 120 supposedly)

Lights- 6-8 Bulb T5 Retro

Calcium Reactor- Not sure yet (have tank and solenoid)

I plan on drilling it for an overflow but havent decided yet on a CL. Im deciding between a corner or a center overflow also. I will paint the back like usual and go from there. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting rid of the laminate oak trim on this tank? Paint it? Peel it? Scrub it? Does anyone have any expirience with this? Later Ryan

I was more concerned with finding the color I wanted... I didn't limit myself to any specialty paint; I think it's over-rated. The paint I used was a Rust-Oleum spray paint product that claimed interior and exterior durability. I would recommend scuffing the plastic trim a bit with some steel wool or 320 grit sand paper though.

Ben

I got the rough framework of the stand started but still gotta finish it. I also started to paint the top rim. I think Im gonna use more of a flat color though. The gloss is too much. I guess I will see when it dries. I think I also decided on a center overflow so I dont have to see a overflow on the side of the tank. Heres some pics.

DSC05801.jpg

DSC05802.jpg

I think the only drilling im gonna do is for the overflow. I also dont know where yet because I dont know if the bottom is tempered.

I finished painting today. I went ahead and got a can of Krylon "Fusion" flat and I like it a lot better. Looks like a brand new tank. Heres a pic.

DSC05810.jpg

I had two birthday parties last night so didnt get anything done with the tank. Im gonna paint the back tonight and then hopefully Friday I can get it to my buddies glass shop to drill it. I think the only drilling im gonna do is for a drain. I was thinking 1". Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe 1 1/2"? My return will be a Eheim 1262 (900 GPH at 0' Head) What hole size does everyone else have? In the two drilled tanks Ive had so far they had 1" holes. Seemed to work well. I also have another question. Im gonna need to build a overflow for this tank. I think im gonna be using black acrylic probably 1/8" or whatever I can get my hands on. What do I use to attach it to a glass tank? Thanks in advance. LAter Ryan

I would do 2 1" drains. I like having a backup. You can flow 1000gph thru a 1" pipe. So if you go with 1 drain go 1.5". For the overflow just use silicon. The pressure of the water will help hold it in place if need be. Rough up the edges where the silicon will adhear to the acrylic, makes for a better hold IME.

Yeah I decided on 1 - 1.5" drain. I got the bulkhead from Ryan today. Im gonna check out a local plastic shop in town to see if they have any scrap black pieces. The thing that sucks is that I have a ton of clear acrylic but no black for a overflow. If they dont have anything I might just shoot James a call to see what he will have one for. Later Ryan

Okay so the back of the tank is painted now. I also did the rest of the rough framing of the tank. I gotta go get some sheeting tomorrow to wrap it. Hopefully my buddy can drill the tank. Then I might be able to have this thing up and running by the end of next week or sooner. Later Ryan

Well looks like it wont be getting drilled till Tuesday. Hey I guess hes doing it for free so I cant complain. Well I guess I will finish my stand this weekend and work on getting the overflow built. Later Ryan

Okay I got the stand wrapped today and all the trim done. Im gonna probably do some staining on Sunday and laquer on Monday. The take the tank into get drilled Tuesday. Heres a pic. I still gotta cut out the front door. Later Ryan

DSC05819.jpg

Okay so I got the door routered out and stand stained. Gonna drill the tank tomorrow and put two coats of poly on. Fill holes tomorrow. I need to get ahold of some black acrylic for a overflow still. Updates soon to come. Later Ryan

I just put the last coat of poly on the tank. I also got the tank drilled today and it looks great!!! :) Im on the search for black acrylic now for a overflow. Once I get that I can build the overflow and start plumbing. I guess that gives me time to work on a light rack. Pics on Thursday of stand and tank. Later Ryan