reducing poverty increases peace?

reefgeek84

I hope this will not get deleted...

A nobel prize was awarded to a man who has shown that when you reduce poverty you increase peace...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061013/bs_afp/nobelpeace_061013160046

Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

I know this is not reef related, but it can not be nearly as valotile as my last post...It is a very interesting concept and I think that everyone can contirbute something positive to it and a ton of point of views could be expressed about this topic.

In all seriousness Reefgeek. I do agree with the concept, and although i skimmed the article fairly fast, i think that if the guy made some true positive impact on thousands of peoples lives, i think it is not only worthy, but helping impoverished people get to a better place can do nothing but make people less violent.

Unfortunately, true peace comes at the hands of the people in control of the power and the money.............so in the big picture does it help world peace......doubt it

I hope this will not get deleted... I know this is not reef related' date=' but it can not be nearly as valotile as my last post...[/quote']

You don't have to talk about reef stuff in out of bounds. In fact, no reef stuff is allowed in out of bounds! (laugh)

What you need to do is "moderate" your thread. Try to keep the peace and yet still debate the topic. Stay calm, cool and collected. And by all means, PMs are your friend. Sometimes things should be said via PM rather than made public on the boards. The key to debates is to know and understand both sides of the argument. Typically both sides have merit as well as holes in their respective theories.

And as for the topic, call me negative, but I think it's against human nature to have a peaceful society. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see world peace. It would warm my cold, black heart to see people holding hands and singing John Lennon songs. I do think that eliminating poverty would be a step in the right direction. Lord knows money is a big motive for "war" (I won't mention any deleted threads of yours), but the other part of the equation would be to erradicate that part of the brain that craves power. It seems that for every peace-loving person, there are two "Dubya's" to throw off the balance.

But that's just my take on it! I'd also be curious to see how the abolishment of poverty would impact tax payers. And would people take advantage of it like so many already do with public assistance, ie Oregon Trail and HUD.

Flame on! No, no, no... just kidding! Let's keep it civil. Opinions are like... noses... everyone has one. ;)

I hope this will not get deleted...

A nobel prize was awarded to a man who has shown that when you reduce poverty you increase peace...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061013/bs_afp/nobelpeace_061013160046

Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

I know this is not reef related, but it can not be nearly as valotile as my last post...It is a very interesting concept and I think that everyone can contirbute something positive to it and a ton of point of views could be expressed about this topic.

Not too many people in poverty that I know have the means to purchase stealth bombers, nuclear bombs, and armies of millions. Or were they not talking about financial poverty but moral poverty?

I've heard of groups doing things like this in africa recently, lending small amounts of money to us (around 100 dollars) to poor women with plans to sell arts and crafts mostly, so they could set up shops. And it seems to be very succesfull.

http://www.bangladesh-web.com/news/view.php?hidDate=2006-10-20&hidType=OPT&hidRecord=0000000000000000132762

I like the fact that it seems to help mostly women, and in a country where women used to have acid thrown on their faces for refusing to marry, it is a very good thing to do anything to help them.