The 75gal tank - an upgrade tale

impur

Heh, i might buy the T4 pump he bought off rich. 1200gph and all i hear about is how quiet they are. I'm gonna try removing the screws that hold down the pump and put a layer of 2" styrofoam then 2 layers of that green foam padding to see if it does anything. If not i'm selling it.

Put some thick rubber gromets/washers under where the screws go into....between the pump base and board you're screwing into. I also put scrunched up towels underneath everything to soak up some of the vibrations. If mine rests on the bottom or close to the side of the cabinet, it vibrates the wood like crazy. If that fails, before making a soundproof box, fold up a few really thick blankets like comforters and lay around to see if it deadens the sound. If it does, I would go for the suggestion from Vanz and use proper material made for sound proofing. I used to sell sound deadening lead panels used for floorboards of cars that may do the trick. Is it loud if you just hold it in the air while its running? If not, it should be an easy environmental fix.

Not a bad idea as long as you test before and after temp of the pump itself as to not burn it out and start a fire; if done right with a quieter fan, probably should be fine. Using heat sink compound to better transfer heat as well. I have a large heat sink you could have, but you're not close unless you're coming to the Nov. meeting.

The PC parts warehouse by me has awesome stuff with decent prices for mods. Has complete details of the products on his site, including the decibles for noise on the fans! Northwest Computer Accessories off of I-205 in Clackamas. www.nwca.com. You can buy online too...has some of the best prices I know and where I shopped for my last job as IT manager/ jack of all trades.

If you do the 12 volt thing, check out his led lighting and cold cathodes....perfect for moon lighting and you can hook up to your power supply for your fan as well. (I use an old power supply I ripped from an AT style PC so I have on/off switch attached. (I'm sure someone your way has one to throw away)

If anyone picks up parts there at will call, be sure to check out Ken's display room out front with his marine tank...assuming he still has it...haven't had the need to buy anything for awhile.

Cool, thanks for the info!

I removed the screws that were holding the pump down, 3 of them with rubber gromets, and it killed most of the resonating sound! I added another pad and its pretty quiet now, i can't hear it in most of the rooms. But i still will do the mod after i get my 29gal out of the way.

I still have a leak where one of the threaded street els screws into the bulkhead. I tied a paper towel around it yesterday before the Duck bball game, about 6:30pm and this morning its barely damp. I can live with that. Hopefully it will seal itself with saltcreep. It was dripping yesterday onto my 8 swith outlet, right onto something plugged into it. When i got home i could smell it burning. Its slightly melted on one plug and it shocked me when i reached back there. So, i'm gonna have to mount my other one somewhere else. Got lucky on that one.

I wouldn't screw around with an leaks outside your tank and relying on salt creep. If you end up burning the place down/shock yourself/kill your tank mates etc....you can kiss your insurance policy goodbye and your nerves! Especially now that you made it public knowledge :(. My Ocean Clear canister filter got a crack in it the other day and now I'm screwed. Mfg. says don't fix, but people use JB Weld in pool repairs....If I dare to use it still, it's going to have to go over my sump to catch any leaks unless I find a replacement.....don't want to come home one day and find that "patched" leak that suddenly sprang all over the floor!

Well Nyles came over and we went to work transferring everything. He brought the frags he was holding for me as well. Now this tank looks full LOL But i don't really have enough rock to start stacking things. Had one loss overnight, a green mille that was sweet. It looked great all afternoon after the transfer then RTN'd overnight.

P1010059.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

There are a lot of microbubbles. It cleared up a lot overnight. You can now see down the length of the tank and see the other side! But i'm gonna have to work on some baffles in the sump to help with the MB. Its coming from where the water enters the sump. Lots of air in there i guess.

Speaking of air, I think my little impeller mod on my skimmer is paying off. This baby is full of bubbles. Its finally now not overflowing.

P1010064.jpg

P1010065.jpg

Thanks guys. Yah i'm bumbed about the green mille. Things look fine this morning. I'm gonna get my AC Jr. hooked up today and hope to get the ATO back in place as well. Later this week i will get the CA reactor back online.

I fixed a couple leaks coming from the drain. They started up overnight. Not sure why it would run for 5 days with no leaks then all the sudden leak, but at least it was an easy fix. I'm still getting a slow leak out of that one bulkhead where the street el screws in. If it doesn't stop this week i'm gonna drain the tank down below it this weekend and fix it. I was showing it to my dad and he said i shoulda used teflon paste no tape. DOH! I never know when to use what.

I'll get a few more pics today. Thinks are opening up nicely.

Hey Nyles, i got that tip that broke off that nice piece last night. Got it glued to a frag plug, its still in good shape. Even had some PE last night. I ended up using my mag float and zip tying that frag tray to it, so i can lower it a little and move the light forward. Now the frags are getting all sorts of light :D But i gotta buy a new mag float lol. I'm gonna get one of the ones with the coralline scraper attached anyway.

Ok i took a few pics tonight. My OM isn't working. Not sure why. Flow only comes out of 2 holes. So i guess i'll have to take it all apart and see whats up. Gives me time to fix that darn leak too.

I tried mounting my MJmod to the seio holder i used. It worked, but the MJ has such backforce and the clip doesn't fit as well over this tank, it ended up just flopping around oddly. So i put in a Seio cuz the MJ was blowing too much sand around and i couldn't aim it while being so close to the glass.

P1010066.jpg

My frag tray mounted to the magfloat. Makes it easier to move, and now without that clamp holding it i can get the light right over it.

P1010069.jpg

P1010070.jpg