The 75gal tank - an upgrade tale

impur

It all started in the spring of 2004. A freshwater tank wasn't cutting it for me back then, so I decided to take a leap to the world of saltwater. I had some knowledge of saltwater, I had kept a 55gal FOWLR for a year or so previously and I was enamored with nano-reef.com and all the amazing small reef tanks. So taking the leap I started with a 10 gal that was a great learning experience.

PB190003.jpg

The experiece was great and all the livestock flourished. But alas it was not enough to satisfy me. After 8 months I decided to upgrade for more room. The 10gal had been a wonderful learning experience, but new ideas kept popping into my head on how to improve the environment for my reef. These ideas sprung into action and a 29gal was born. My reef loved the larger tank, more room to grow and roam.

P1090146.jpg

For a year and a half i was content with my piece of the ocean. It had its ups and downs. I dealt with AEFW and redbugs. Even with these setbacks I forged on. Then came the urging again. It was not enough space. I wanted more! More fish, more coral, and most of all more room. Finally an opportunity arose to satisfy these wants. A 75gal came up for sale! I jumped at the chance, and put more of my ideas to work.

Today those ideas are becoming reality. I've been working all day to get my 75gal reef up and running. It will be another week or so before the reef moves in, but it is exciting none-the-less.

This is the tale of my 75gal.

The beginning. The stand is not in its place yet, but its in the house. The sump fits perfectly.

P1010317.jpg

But quickly room was becoming sparce. I needed a spot for my CA reactor, a 10gal topoff resevoir, and an external pump. What if I wanted to add a kalk reactor? I need a solution. A shelf! That would give me more room for sure. How to implement it though? I had to add a 2 legs and somehow attach it to the stand. Idea! This will surely work!

P1010318.jpg

P1010321.jpg

Yes i was right! Plenty of room for an external pump and my CA reactor. Next I wanted a way to better my skimmer. It was a cheap skimmer. I do not believe i need a $400 skimmer for my reef to be successful. With a multitude of inexpensive decent skimmers on the market I found one for $50. I would buy this and make it better! Needlewheels are the new bigboys on the block. But my skimmer does not have a needlewheel. IDEA!

P1010314.jpg

P1010315.jpg

P1010316.jpg

This would chop up the bubbles nicely, and would not cost me a dime!

Next, plumbing. This quickly became a problem. I do not have enough room to plumb it into the end of the sump. Since a closed loop will be my primary watermovement thru an OM Super Squirt an aswer quickly appeared. I would plumb it into the back of the sump and utilize 2 90 els.

P1010322.jpg

Stay tuned, we will be back after a break from our sponsors.

P1010327.jpg

And now back to our featured presentation.

As the day progressed and sun gave way to clouds and rain, I kept trying to breath life info my new reeftank. The tank would not build itself afterall, and the myriad of obstacles could only be overcome by perseverance. The tank was put into place atop of the stand. My what a sight! This was it, it was coming together.

P1010332.jpg

But I was far from done. Plumbing needed to be glued, sump needed to be drilled, pipes need to be cut. I decided to start with drilling the sump, I had worked all day on the things going inside the stand, no need to stop prematurely.

P1010328.jpg

The hole was cut with precision, not a knick in the acrylic. Perfect. Next the bulkhead

P1010329.jpg

And finally gluing in the street el. My first plumbing being glued into place! I felt so gratified. But wait, I had 5 bulkheads in the tank to plumb to an external pump and thru a wavemaker device. And I still hadn't plumbed the return pump yet! Time to put things into place.

P1010331.jpg

Then I realized I needed a switch of priorities to get the main part of this system done. I needed a plan. I did not have all the fittings to finish. So I made up a shopping list. Tomorrow, I make the long journey to Jerry's - The home improvement black hole. Would I return with all that is needed to finish my tank? Would I return at all? Only time will tell.

P1010333.jpg

So far so good' date=' when your ready to fire it up I will be happy to come by and help with a sponsored break (me sponsoring of course). LOL[/quote']

Sounds like a great plan!

Tonight we are having dinner with my wifes parents, its his bday so i won't be able to work on anything :(

Tomorrow though! I should get the plumbing done. I'm also going to look for some black contact paper for the back of the tank.

I have black enamel base paint, thats what I used. Your welcome to it. It will take 2 coats for a nice thick cover. You will need to clean the back good, but honestly I just wiped mine down... didnt even use vinegar and it has never peeled off or been effected by salt creep. Let me know, I can drop it off anytime.

The trip to the home improvement blackhole was worse than I feared. Not only did I use up all the money I had on plumbing parts, when I arrived back at home I was still missing vital pieces!!!! So putting together what I could with what I had was all I could do.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Great job Mike!

It is great to NOT have the tank stocked as you do the work :)

How are you setting up your closed loop system? I am thinking about that for return... However my tank is full.

Ahhhh..... Reason to buy bigger tank!

If in need of sponser breaks... I have a brewrey in back that the kegs need draining...

Bill