RIP Tang

Algae

Not a current emergency. But it was a couple of days ago.

My Tang that I had for a year and a half just passed on. Such a good big (7-8") boy! Would patiently eat out of my hand. Would follow me around at 2 inches and eat the red slime algae as I cleaned the glass. He would never go after it himself. He just waited for me to complete my portion of our symbiotic relationship.

When I first got him (from Miles (Impur) ), I had to clean the tank and had to come back for a third time to clean the same area that he was in. Tired of the BS he quickly came over and gave me a couple of quick tail slaps. No injury, no knife, but he wanted to let me know that his tolerance was not limitless! After he established his stake he never gave me any more reaction to my hand in the water except to try to beg food.

I feel really guilty in that I caused his death. I had just installed a new 6 light t5 with new bulbs over the tank and did some testing after the lights out period. I think that the shock of the newer bulbs and increase of number of bulbs put him into shock (only went from 4 to 6). He may have bumped into something in the tank?

I turned out the lights for 2 days and tried to aerate him, but he could not recover. I euthanzed him by putting him into a gentle deep sleep with clove oil and after he was asleep adding vodka.

My 5 year old daughter and I buried him in our herb garden with a large piece of Nori. My daughter is caring enough to realize that we don't go out and REPLACE our animals immediatly.

I really believe in the old, true adage "Nothing good happens quickly to a reef tank" Just have to learn to take my own advice.

Such a special guy. Miss you stealing the shrimp out of the mouths of my Acans, Bud.

DSC_0009.jpg