Help Oregon Tort dying

JasonH

IMG_0149.jpg

In the last few days, my Oregon Tort has been losing tissue. My water parameters are all stable - and all my other corals look great. The picture looks like something's been at it and I'm looking hard for red bugs, but don't see any (and haven't added anything recently - and treat everything that goes in).

My six line seems to be picking at it a little - like it's eating the flesh that's sloughing off.

I think my phoshpates were a little high, but get my phosphate reactor up a week or so ago and begon running Phosban.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Doesn't look like redbugs to me. Looks like RTN :( I don't think this one is saveable but as dj says, it might be wise to try and save some of the nubs.

Could be a number of things really but I doubt slightly high phosphates or nitrates would cause this. They would have to be up there a bit. Sometimes this kind of things happens for unexplainable reasons unfortunately.

GL with it though! I hope it pulls through for you.

Garrett

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, guys. My nitrates were low last time I tested - before my last water change 5/6 days ago - not zero, but low.

I'll see if I can save some bits. It's a shame, I've had this frag for a while and it's been growing really well and always great polyp extention - then all of a sudden...

Whoa - interesting. I hadn't heard that about GFO. I run it off and on on my tank but I recently broke the lid on my phosban reactor and had to get a new one - so it's been off-line for a while. And it was right after I started the reator - within days.

That coral has been in my tank for months and has being growing really well. So it was very odd for it to up and RTN. It's still hanging in, but doesn't look good.

I cranked the flow way back on the reactor - maybe I'll shut it down for a bit.

Thanks for the tip. So far, everything but the OR Tort looks good still (knock on wood).

I say you frag off that piece on the right and move it to a different tank if you can.

In the meantime you need to do a dip in Melafix, and then wait a couple hours and do another dip in Lugols. This is the only thing I've found that saves me when the tissue recession starts, and it only works about half the time.