Noob needing mentor

ciao

Hi everyone. I'm really new to the hobby and in the process of setting up my new 250 gallon tank as a fish/reef aquarium. :eek:

I starting to feel a little overwhelmed with trying to set up this sucker and really want to do this right. I'm currently in the process of deciding on what sort of lighting I will need. I was hoping there was somebody here in the Beaverton area that I could meet with and maybe see their tank set up or show them mine and ask questions from while I start up this hobby.

Anybody out there willing to take a noob under their wing to show them how it should be done???:D

Thanks

Welcome and you came to the right place, this website have a lot of reefers experience. I am pretty sure you will recieve lots of help from people on here around beavorton area. It would be nice if you can post couple pictures of your tanks and equipmet so we all knows what you have a this time.

Besides posting questions for everyone, if you want to come see my humble 75g in Oregon City, you are more than welcome.

Do not hesitate to just post any question you have, no matter how small or large it may seem. You can usually get a response within a few hours to days. The hardest part is to wade through the different answers to find the solution that will work best for you.

Welcome to the group

dsoz

This will get me bannedDOH!, but it is like getting years of information in a sitting or two;

check out this site and look at the tanks of each months winners, they provide information on their lighting, photo periods, supplementation etc.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/totm.php?s=&menu=15

What ever you do take alot of information in and deduce what is correct, typically it will be majority rules. You may get 6 different answers to the exact same question so it can be tough, the internet can be a great tool-but....

Also check out the stores in the area and looks who does well with Reefing, as an outside sales person, I think I have seen 85% of the stores in town and there are those who should stick with fish-check out their dispalys.

Lastly remember and this is key-

Nothing good happens fast in reefing-take your time, although its impossible(laugh)

it pays off.

And hats off to you for jumpng in with a 250 gallon-at least it will take time for the "swings" with that water volume-LOL, you got to have DEEP pockets to stock that tank-I forgot how many Thousands I have dumped into mine-

you must be single also, or seperate bank accounts.

Good luck and Enjoy

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome. I look forward to meeting/getting to know many of you in the future as I continue to increase my knowledge about this hobby. Now on to answering some questions:

What types of coral would you like to keep? This will help us to point you in the right direction with lighting.

Jay

Since it's a 250 Gallon tank, I'm hoping of doing a little bit of everything since it's not shallow(I'm estimating it's aobut 36" ? deep but I could be off). Any recommendations on lighting that won't blow my budget would be a big help!

250 gallon? Nice! Where do you live in Beaverton? I'm a noob myself' date=' even though I've been in this hobby for nearly 5 years.[/quote']

I live near 185th and Walker Road. Where do you live Vanz? Hope we can meet up sometime :D

This will get me bannedDOH!, but it is like getting years of information in a sitting or two;

check out this site and look at the tanks of each months winners, they provide information on their lighting, photo periods, supplementation etc.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/totm.php?s=&menu=15

What ever you do take alot of information in and deduce what is correct, typically it will be majority rules. You may get 6 different answers to the exact same question so it can be tough, the internet can be a great tool-but....

Also check out the stores in the area and looks who does well with Reefing, as an outside sales person, I think I have seen 85% of the stores in town and there are those who should stick with fish-check out their dispalys.

Lastly remember and this is key-

Nothing good happens fast in reefing-take your time, although its impossible(laugh)

it pays off.

And hats off to you for jumpng in with a 250 gallon-at least it will take time for the "swings" with that water volume-LOL, you got to have DEEP pockets to stock that tank-I forgot how many Thousands I have dumped into mine-

you must be single also, or seperate bank accounts.

Good luck and Enjoy

I don't have deep pockets unfortunately. For me, it's fortunate that it takes time to establish a tank so I'll be able to spread the cost over time and not have it hit my bank account all at once. If my wife ever finds out how much I've spent on it already, she would kill me! (wife) I think the last big expensive peace of equipment I still need to get is the lighting. Wish I could pay for it in installments! LOL

What are the tank dimensions? i have a 250 set up recently. You are welcome to come over and check out/ discuss systems. I live in Ridgefield, which is just North of Vancouver.

Ken

I know my tank is roughly 6' x 2.5'? x 3'?. I could/probably wrong on them but I know I should be close. It's an oceanic brand with overflow sections on the side with a sump tank below. It has 2 Rio 2500 pumps and a protein skimmer that I'm not sure of the brand. The tank was used previously for a salt water aquarium with no coral. I hope I can make it up there in Ridgefield sometime soon Kshak. I would love to see your setup! Is Ridgefield north or south of Castle Rock? I should be going up to Castle Rock sometime soon to do some Salmon fishing next month. So many interests/hobbies and so little time..............:D I really should squeeze some time in there for my 1.5 year old soon (whistle)

"And hats off to you for jumpng in with a 250 gallon-at least it will take time for the "swings" with that water volume-LOL, you got to have DEEP pockets to stock that tank-I forgot how many Thousands I have dumped into mine-

you must be single also, or seperate bank accounts"

If I had only read this 2 weeks ago..............

Just keep reading! This is a great forum, lot's of help, great people etc. My mentor and I set up a few "coral purchases" 125 mile away and we got to see some great stuff! Different ways of running these systems, lighting techniques and livestock. I would do it again every night after work if the wallet would allow. Don't be afraid to post questions. Seems like they have already been there, done that and asking first seems to help loosing livestock or making expensive wrong decisions later. GOOD LUCK!

I should be going up to Castle Rock sometime soon to do some Salmon fishing next month.

Hey, stay away from my rivers! (threaten) Locals only :D The slivers should start running pretty soon, we are supposed to have a record run this year. Cant wait. (dancing)(dancing)(dancing)

I live near the murray and scholls intersection. We sometimes have monthly local meetings at the greenway mcmenamins off of scholls ferry, you should go. I haven't been to one, but I think I may go to the next one whenever that is. I'm building my 125 as well and will start on a build thread soon. Stay tuned!

Hey' date=' stay away from my rivers! (threaten) Locals only :D The slivers should start running pretty soon, we are supposed to have a record run this year. Cant wait. (dancing)(dancing)(dancing)[/quote']

Hey you can't keep your secret spot to yourself! (laugh)The word is out and I've been waiting since the end of last year's run to make it up there again! Just hope the Silvers are as fat as they were last year! We should meet up there sometime:D

( Ridgefield is way South of Castle Rock. Exit 14 off I-5' date=' so only 14 miles from the border.[/quote']

I'll have to make a point to drop by up there and visit you when I go up north to horn in on Nate213's river! (whistle)

Thank you very much for the offer to let me pick your head for ideas and get a good look at your setup. (clap)I'll try to arrange it with you a few days in adavnce.

I got some great noob advice..(naughty)..you could just trade me your 250 for my 36(whistle) Just think of how much easier it would be(scratch)....just kidding. If I can help let me know. I too live in Beaverton

If I ever decide to throw in the towel I'll have to remember to give you first crack at it. (laugh)

I think I might come and visit sometime soon......at least as soon as I can fitting all the fishing I plan on doing up on the Toutle before Nate213 fishes the river out!

As for my tank, I finally have it all set up and will be filling it with some fresh water sometime this week for a trial run to make sure all the equipment is running correctly.I plan on running the tank full of fresh water for a few weeks to clean it out and try to absorb any possible lingering Copper ions still present in the tank with a heavy metal sponge. Depending on what the sponge looks like after a couple of weeks, my plan is to either empty out the fresh water and fill it with salt water or mixing in salt into the water directly slowly to get the right salinity.(I would really hate to waste all that water from a environmental point of view(nono))

Hopefully the sponge will give me a clear bill of health and I can start putting in the sand and rocks sooner than later. At least that will give me some more time to decide on what sort of lighting I need to buy and put aside some money for it while I'm waiting for the tank to clear itself. Can't wait to start!